Unstable Downloading! Starts Off Fast Than Keeps Droping!

freecss

Status: Network OK, Also ran the NAT Check posted in the sticky and I got a Pass

Network Type: Cable, Max bandwidth roughly 350kB/s

Firmware Version: WRT54G v4.30.1, HyperWRT 2.1b1 +tofu11 (I installed this as noted in the sticky due to unstable internet connections)

Firewall: Sygate Personal Firewall Pro (Windows Firewall is OFF)

Port Forwarding: I have forwarded my port 49145 in both my router setting and utorrent setting.

My problem is that my torrent is downloading very strangely. After updating my firmware to HyperWRT 2.1b1 +tofu11, my torrent download starts having problem, but my Internet connection is alot more stable. All other downloads from direct link and from mIRC is going at top speed but utorrent and also abc is going very slow (unstable). Whenever i turn on my utorrent, my torrent will resume and start out about 50kB/s to 100kB/s and than starts droping from there after a few seconds all the way to 0kB/s, it will than go up for a bit.. like 30kB/s to 50kB/s but will drop right away to 0kb/s. Furthermore, my peers will also drop. This is very unsual. I never had this problem before with bittorrent. The only thing i can think of that ight be causing this is maybe my router. But if mIRC and other direct downloads are going fast, than my router might not be the case.

I hope someone here can help me out with this, because I tried so many things already and I can't seem to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I heard about if before, some people call it the "yo-yo" effect. I thought that this major issue was bagged and buried a long time ago...apparently this is not the case :( Anyhow, it's uncertain what is causing this annoying effect...try setting your "peer.disconnect_inactive_interval" to *600 and see if it makes any difference. :|

Go to the router's web interface (192.168.1.1), login, and click on Administration. On that page, there's a button that says "Run Command"

type "erase nvram;reboot" into the box that opens (without the quotes), and press Enter.

It'll erase the router's memory to clean up any leftover crap in the memory, which often fixes weird problems. YOu'll have to re-configure the router (set up port forwards and so on).

Go ahead and add this to "Edit Startup" (on the same page) after you do.

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses
echo "600 1800 120 60 120 120 10 60 30 120" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeouts

Hit Save, close the window, and then Save Settings.

Once you do, close µTorrent, reboot the router, start µTorrent, and see if it says "network OK"

Hey Firon,

Yah, i figured it out and i did that but i still have the same problem.

sigh.

Also, yah.. i didn't know that would flush out everything, I did reconfigure my router and port forwarding and my utorrent shows that my network is okay. But it still hasn't fixed the "yo-yo" effect.

sigh.

hmmm.. openoffice is such a big app... i really like utorrent. i use to love abc.. until utorrent came out. had no problems before.. but than it just happened. lol. i will try connecting it directly and see if that's my router is the problem. but i doubt it because mirc goes so fast at 300kB/s. and i know its not my firewall. i never had any problems with sygate. and my status says "network ok" so it shouldn't be the firewall. i been using bt since it first came out.. lol.. this is the first time i can't fix a problem. and its really depressing cause i really wanted to get these anime! lol

thanks guys for trying to help.

oops.. i thoguht openoffice was a bt app.. lol.. i just downloaded it an installed it and now i know what it is.. i tried using this torrent to test my download also after that but it's still no dice.

Status: Network OK, Also ran the NAT Check posted in the sticky and I got a Pass

Network Type: Cable, Max bandwidth roughly 350kB/s

Firmware Version: WRT54G v4.30.1, HyperWRT 2.1b1 +tofu11 (I installed this as noted in the sticky due to unstable internet connections)

Firewall: Sygate Personal Firewall Pro (Windows Firewall is OFF)

Port Forwarding: I have forwarded my port 49145 in both my router setting and utorrent setting.

My problem is that my torrent is downloading very strangely. After updating my firmware to HyperWRT 2.1b1 +tofu11, my torrent download starts having problem, but my Internet connection is alot more stable. All other downloads from direct link and from mIRC is going at top speed but utorrent and also abc is going very slow (unstable). Whenever i turn on my utorrent, my torrent will resume and start out about 50kB/s to 100kB/s and than starts droping from there after a few seconds all the way to 0kB/s, it will than go up for a bit.. like 30kB/s to 50kB/s but will drop right away to 0kb/s. Furthermore, my peers will also drop. This is very unsual. I never had this problem before with bittorrent. The only thing i can think of that ight be causing this is maybe my router. But if mIRC and other direct downloads are going fast, than my router might not be the case.

I hope someone here can help me out with this, because I tried so many things already and I can't seem to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Yeap I'm having this exact same problem.

I've narrowed it down to one of three things. Either my router or associated firmware. I use a WRT54GS V4 which uses the EXACT same motherboard as your router, so we essentially have the same router even though I have the S model. I'm running HyperWRT Thibor (which is for the GS version) but it is based off the same Tofu firmware you're using. I can't completely rule the router out but when I connected my cable directly to my PC is wasn't as sharp as a drop but it seemed it was happening to some extent.

The other culprits are either something in Windows XP itself, TCP settings or something of that nature. I'm not really sure at the moment because I had another router (Dlink DI-624 and it seemed to do the exact same thing plus the complete lock ups and reboots from running too many connections.

The final and in my opinion most likely culprit in my mind is my ISP. They've been doing some pretty screwy crap lately and they have a whole slew of nodes that are either completely down or experiencing as one technician described a "massive amount of noise leakage". My torrents seemed to be running fine just a couple days ago for about a couple days and then they started wigging out again (this again could be either the router, or the ISP itself here).

I'd like to pose the following questions to you freecss (and others with the same issue) so we can possibly find some common ground perhaps with our issue

When did you buy your router? (A little under a month ago)

Who is your ISP? (Comcast here)

What is your location (city/state)? (Tucson/AZ here)

Do you have an upgraded speed package with them? (I do)

If you are on comcast which subnet are you on? (71.XXX.XXX.XXX here)

I think we may have some region/ISP stuff in common, and that might be the source of our problems.

Archived