Should I get a new cable modem?

Ipecac

I there, this is my first post and I'm new to actually trying to configure my torrent business properly. So, go easy on me if this is a common question.

I have a Comcast dpc2100 cable modem. I'm under the impression that these include some setting that helps comcast throttle your dl speed if you're a high traffic customer (NAT or something). Obviously the config settings are not accessible when I access the modem via my web browser.

Can someone tell me if

A) Is it necessary to fiddle with this modem? Will it really help?

B) Can the modem be hacked into?

C) If I replace the modem with a non-comcast modem, what should I get?

Thanks for reading; looking forward to your feedback.

My current understanding is that they prevent seeding. More over I think the hardware is deployed at your local node or somewhere near it, so even if you did find a way to hack your modem to allow for more speed, because of the method used to prevent seeding it wouldn't have an effect on the currently known limitations. More over someone said their ISP banned them after he tampered with the modem giving him business line speeds, and that it was the only ISP in the area, so I wouldn't even try it.

Okay, thanks for the response. I have Comcast, and there isn't really a viable alternative as far as I know. I wonder if there's some kind of sweet talk you could give a tech support agent to let them open up the bandwidth.

For my connection... the bandwidth is set by the modem's configuration file. Sure you can flash it to get better speeds, if you've got the right firmware, but as GTHK said.. remember the ISP knows all.. and will know even more if AT&T or whoever the NSA is cozying up to capitulates to actively policing the series of tubez.

Archived