Seeding Rules & queue

pagla

I'm a developer myself and two things that I would like to see in utorrent are

1. An intermediate state where a torrent isn't seeding/downloading and isn't completely stop. In this state, it wouldn't be connecting to peers or announcing, but it would be scraping. This is similiar to the queued state in azureus.

2. Seeding rule flexibility that allows the torrent in the "queued" state to start seeding automatically based on the seeder:leecher ratio and/or minimum number of seeders OR leechers.

the reason i say so is some "private" sites/users have proxy seeds. clients on high bandwidth servers with lots of torrents loaded in the client (>400 torrents). Currently, Azureus is the only one that seems to work perfectly.

Example: The torrents are in a disconnected state (no connections with peers), but the client still scrapes with the tracker.

when the number of seeders for a torrent drop to 0 and there is a leecher, it automatically starts seeding, till a seeder shows up.

This allows the torrent site to have a server archive/maintain the torrents and something they don't have to bother with from time to time. (stop/start torrents for seeding)

This would be a nice feature in utorrent cause of its memory utilization. Loading >400 torrents in azureus requires minimum of 1GB ram in the machine and a powerful CPU.

µTorrent HAS a queued state, where it scrapes the tracker and can be auto-started and stopped. :P

It also scrapes when stopped (if you turn on scrape stopped torrents), but won't auto-start.

But µT doesn't really have comprehensive seeding rules like Azureus yet. Maybe in the future.

• 1 month later...

Rather than start a new thread thought I would dig this one up. I am also after a rule or state that automatically will pause a torrent if you are seeding and there are no peers. And if the tracker is scraped again and reports a peer that it will restart the torrent seeding.

I am also after a rule or state that automatically will pause a torrent if you are seeding and there are no peers

If there are no peers and you're seeding with queue.dont_count_slow_ul set to true in the advanced settings (default) it will add another torrent to the active seeding rotation. It will repeat this until it gets to a torrent that uploads actively.

If this is true, why do I have all my torrents reporting to the tracker that I am seeding, even though there are no peers. I understand that this is the way that most torrent clients so that people know there are still seeds of the file. But one in particular does not do this and only connects as a seed when the pieces it has are needed (when there is a peer).

EDIT: Ok I understand this now, but I have that I can have a maximum number of 100 torrents seeding at once, but if there are no peers, I would rather have the torrent auto-queue itself rather than sit there. Just another suggestion to add to the box.

• 1 year later...

Archived