BitComet cheats, so µTorrent should IGNORE it!

Switeck

id just like to point out one thing:

as im busy coding my own PHP tracker ive seen the logs of bitcomets connections to it, and the client doesnt hammer the tracker any more than the tracker allows (ie as set in the min_interval and interval values returned to the client), when setting min_interval to 60 (seconds) and interval to 600 bitcomet defaultly reannounces at 300 and works up to 600, bittornado i have seen start at 60

this is probably a misconception created by confusion between the bitcomet hammering peers, a lot of bitcomet users have nothing better to do than right click and manually reannounce their tasks or the trackers arent returning a min_interval value leaving it open for the client to reannounce whenever it wants (but at a max of interval), in which case itd be the trackers own fault

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a lot of bitcomet users have nothing better to do than right click and manually reannounce their tasks or the trackers arent returning a min_interval value leaving it open for the client to reannounce whenever it wants (but at a max of interval), in which case itd be the trackers own fault

Even manual reannounces that get any response from the tracker defintely shouldn't occur faster than 1 per minute, any clicks faster than that should be ignored on the client side ...or it is a faulty design that is best blocked by the tracker. In short, if BitComet allows faster manual reannounces, it is a hostile client -- even if only due to allowing manual hostile behavior.

• 4 weeks later...
Surprised nobody's yet mentioned what's on the front page at http://www.bittornado.com since Shad0w released version T-0.3.15:
security added to prevent clients from

exploiting super-seed

(bad BitComet! bad! bad!)

LOL! Well, eventually, I figure if BitComet keeps cheating something bad will happen :P So, until then. I could manually kill BitComet connections if I were so inclined, but it's too much work, the buggers will just keep coming.

• 2 months later...

For what it's worth, BitComet v0.61 and later supposedly solves all the private torrents-made-public due to bugs or "features".

BitComet is also not ignoring µTorrent as much as it used to, since the later Torrent versions (after v1.5) request fewer than 50 pieces (typically 16 KB each) of a torrent at once from BitComet peers/seeds.

But that still leaves a list of other things -- some of which are always in effect, others only occur if the user sets BitComet in some evil way.

o.61 only fixed that error where DHT would turn on. 0.64 was the first version to really get rid of the more natorious DHT bugs that allowd people to add DHT as a second tracker and even turn PEX on. I can still do this in the newest 0.68 and get other BC(based) clients to respond via DHT & PEX.

BC is slowly getting better, but it still has some bugs to fix. Maybe by version 1.0 the client might be respectable.

Can you comment about BitComet's preferancing of other BitComet clients for most of their upload bandwidth?

And also have you noticed how well it manages its upload slots?

I use BitComet 99% of the time and notice no favouring of particular clients over others.

As for managing upload slots, it does it really, really, badly! :)

Uh, the auto ban does work properly? It bans people who send hashfails. Just like every other client's autoban.

I really cannot believe you just said that after you replied in the thread I started precisely about the auto-ban system in uTorrent which shows clearly that it does NOT work properly.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=10312

It seems to me you couldn't have read it, let alone suggested to ludde that he look into it!

The auto-ban system tends to ban your best peers along with the ones that are corrupting which is completely useless. Moreso, when you don't have many sources to start with.

The very least that could be done is to be able to manually turn the ban system on or off rather than put up with the crappy way it's used now.

Just because Bit Tornado does it even worse, is no excuse either.

Azureus uses Java, YUCK.

Bit Comet then seems to be the best alternative available as things stand unless you want to seed ONLY in which case use uTorrent or ANY other client that doesn't crash constantly.

So you'd rather just let the peers repeatedly send you bad pieces over and over again because BitComet doesn't even have an auto-ban system at all?

I'd much rather have a ban system that bans too many peers than a ban system that doesn't ban for hashfails.

5 hashfail increments is traditional and common to all mainstream clients that play nice.

@Dreadwing Knight

No, of course not. If you could turn the crap ban system OFF, then I can do a much better job by making the banning decisions myself, as the program is bloody useless for doing that!

All I need is the info about which peers are involved (which uTorrent gives you) and I can sort it out from that.

As things stand, you have to constantly unban people (usually banned seeds) though and keep a regular watch on it.

PITA!

The "flaw" with the ban system is a flaw with the BitTorrent protocol.

The 'flaw' is with negative thinking like that!

Carry on like that and of course nothing will change!

Anyway as Stone said OT. Won't say any more about it.

If you could turn the crap ban system OFF, then I can do a much better job by making the banning decisions myself, as the program is bloody useless for doing that!

Manual banning of peers has a history of not working.

All I need is the info about which peers are involved (which uTorrent gives you) and I can sort it out from that.

As things stand, you have to constantly unban people (usually banned seeds) though and keep a regular watch on it.

When get the information about the peers involved, you'll likely find the same groups of peers involved in all bad pieces, and end up banning good peers just like the regular clients do.

There is no way you can guarantee that you won't make worse decisions than the existing ban system in place. Don't try to convince me otherwise please.

• 2 weeks later...

make it a low priority to connect to bitcomet , then connect to that client after , like its the last on the seeeding list

cause when i seed to bitcomet i have to seed twice as hard and i dont see it seeding in return

Sorry if Someone Already said this

You cannot tell if an ip is a seed or peer OR BitComet client till after you connect to it.

Huh? This whole thread is about discriminating against BitComet... O.o

In any case, that won't happen.

I long ago changed my tune from discriminating against BitComet to correctly reacting to hostile clients.

...which at least older BitComet clients qualify as.

One of the ways I suggested, is needed to precisely follow the BitTorrent protocol which µTorrent may not be obeying.

Archived