Question from a newbie about speed

Sparkeroons

Just curious about what kind of speeds other users get. We have Bell Sympatico high-speed. Right now I'm downloading a file and the speed is averaging about 10 kB/s. It's telling me it's going to take another 18 hours to download. Is this normal? The person who told me about torrentz and uTorrent told me she downloads in just 3 hours. I don't know who her internet provider is or what kind of service she has. But I always considered Bell to be very fast. Is it something I'm doing wrong, do you think?

How do you adjust the settings? (Like I said, I'm a newbie, and a total dummy about these kinds of things. I don't want to click on the wrong thing.)

Also, if I have to shut down while a download is in progress, will I lose it altogether and have to start fresh? It's telling me that it's going to take another 22 hours to come down and I can't leave the computer on all that time.

If you shut down uTorrent while it's still downloading, you'll likely only lose a few percent off the total of what you have. (unless the torrent's maker used piece size = 4 MB, then you may lose a LOT of the file/s...but still likely have something left.)

Speed Guide (CTRL+G) in uTorrent asks for your upload speed so it can set a lot of stuff in uTorrent based on your connection.

Try xx/256k and see if it runs any better.

Click on the SPEED window at bottom and see if uTorrent is actually uploading steadily at the new upload limit.

If not, lower the Speed Guide (CTRL+G) setting used to xx/192k or even xx/128k.

You could even try xx/384k or xx/512k, but I doubt your line is that fast. :P

So, when I shut my computer down at night and then re-start it the next day, will the file begin downloading again automatically? Or do I have to start it again myself? Is it likely to eventually download successfully or am I just wasting my time here? I'm beginning to wonder if uTorrent is right for me or not. If it's going to take over 24 hours to successfully download a file, then I think I'm going to have to forget it and uninstall the program.

You can shut down your computer and restart it a couple days later even and your previously-started torrents should re-start and at least make a half-hearted effort to finish.

It's your Internet Service Provider that's refusing to offer true internet connectivity at the speed they specified.

They consider BitTorrent to be 'rogue traffic' that they don't have to honor.

Sort of like your phone company deciding that your best friend's house isn't a 'standard' phone call...so they either charge you extra or cut off the line if a call to there extends to over 4 hours.

Also, alot of other people are also suffering under similar problem ISPs...so you can't download very quickly from them either. Rogers Cable ISP in Canada is extremely bad.

Archived