Port blocked yet able to D/l??

Beats

I an having an awful time getting my torrents going smooth. Here's what happened. I installed Kaspersky Internet Security 7 a few days ago and ran it once for a few minutes days later and soon uninstalled it. Immediately after doing the uninstall I could not for the life of me figure out why my torrents weren't moving at all. Finally I realized that KIS had turned my Windows firewall on and it was blocking uTorrent.

For some reason uTorrent will not do anything whatsoever if I turn the firewall off and it will only allow torrents to d/l and u/l when the firewall is turned on and utorrent is in the exceptions. I don't understand that, but that's how it is. I figured there must be something wrong with my firewall so I restored the settings to default and closed all outside programs. I then restarted my computer and unblocked my needed programs as they loaded up ie, utorrent, Mirc, etc. I set my router to forward a port and I added another utorrent exception into firewall with the specific port number in it. Im pretty sure its enough to just unblock utorrent.exe but just to make sure I unblocked the specific port.

Now here's what I don't understand. I have the port forwarded and set in the firewall exceptions yet whenever I "test to see if port is forwarded correctly" it ALWAYS says that it is blocked. I don't get it!!

Yet, I am downloading multiple torrents at 100+ kb/s right now. I don't understand what is blocking the port, yet letting d/l's to go on unaffected.

Also, for some reason I can d/l at good rates of speed yet whenever a leecher connects to me the tranasction lasts for about 1 second. I can see that there are active leechers with 5% or so of the file trying to connect to me and i have 100% of the file. As soon as they connect, the u/l rate goes to 0.1 kb/s for a split second and they are dropped.... Occasionally someone will get 3.5 kb/s or something like that but the rate always immediately plummets and they disc' in a matter of seconds..

So I'm confused. The port tester tells me my port is blocked, yet I am downloading at a fast rate. BUT I can't seem to seed worth beans. Is it possible to have uploads blocked somehow and d/l's unaffected?

I have tried everything I can think of to no avail. I followed the guide and adjusted my max upload rate to 60kb/s and nothing has changed.

Its irritating since a few days ago I was constantly seeding the same files at a combined rate of 60-70 kb/s. I know there are leechers out there because I am watching them on the tracker I use and I am always watching to see what % of the torrent they have complete.

Just to check, i tried playing with the Slackware test torrent. IT got my uploads going to about 30 kb/s but would quickly go to something like 30kb/s , 24, 20, 24, 18, 13, 17, 12, 5, 0.. just as an example. Seems like even when ppl connect at a higher rate the torrent keeps slowing down and dies off.

You can download+upload even if firewalled, but only from/to others who are NOT firewalled. You'd probably have to completely uninstall Kaspersky to remove its influences. Barring that, good luck on configuring it...because I don't know how.

If you have Rogers ISP, they must hate you for treating you this badly. They're causing the really bad seeding problems.

yeah, I already completely uninstalled Kaspersky and yeah, Im on Rogers.

What I don't understand, though, is how come uTorrent won't work worth anything if windows firewall is OFF yet if I turn the fireWALL ON and add uTorrent to the exceptions it works..?.. I'd like to be able to turn the firewall off if what you are saying above is that I am limiting the number of ppl I can transact with since my firewall is ON.

If you're behind a router you don't really need a firewall app because the hardware natively acts as a firewall. uT can auto-configure for the windows firewall so in cases where indeed there is no other interference, that's the only checkmark needed (add rule to firewall exceptions). In your case though there is more interference. I don't know how/why turning Windows Firewall OFF would stop you from connecting to unfirewalled peers... To be sure the swarm is not at fault that's why the setup guide and troubleshooting mentions OpenOffice and Slackware... those seed peers are configured for inbound connections so they will connect to you no matter if YOU are configured correctly. Switeck explained it, but if you're still unclear how peers can still connect TheShad0w's explanation about swarm connectivity with peers who are both firewalled and unfirewalled should make things clear (it has pictures :)). I like troubleshooting so if I were you I'd start at one end and process your setup again from scratch. But as you've been working with this for a while, if you prefer you can follow the How-To instructions (link below) and paste a HiJackThis log into a post below to look at.

As far as trying to keep connections all I can suggest is How-To post #2, and making sure you're running Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent as FORCED encryption and dis-allow legacy connections :/ I'm not sure how much hardware rogers has thrown at shaping profiles, but hopefully by reducing your active load on the line you can get to a point where you don't trigger their automated response.

Thanks for all the help. I played around with some stuff and started a bunch more torrents and got u/l's happening a lot better. I was/still am experiencing is most of my Upload rates starting at a certain number and slowly dropping off.. as in, not maintaining a rate whatsoever. I think part of that problem is because 2 of my d/l's are going at about 100 kb/s and are from single seeds that have 100% of the torrent. Utorrent is trying to u/l back to the seed which already has 100% of the file which is pointless since there are no other peers engaged. I think the constant attempts to u/l to the seeder are causing the other u/l's to jump around .(??)

Also, I was reading the guide about specifying your u/l speed and I need some clarification. I looked at some speed tests that I've done recently and came to the conclusion that my average speed is roughly 6800 kb/s down and 500 kb/s up. When I do the u/l converting I come up with 50 Kb/s. So I put 50 into the Global Bandwidth Limiting box. The thing is, Prior to doing this I have reularly had 2 torrents uploading to differeing ppl with a combined rate of 65-70 kB/s. So do I still put in the 50 or do I set it higher for 60 or 70 knowing that I have seen it go as fast as 70??? I currently just changed the global rate to 60 and put the alternate u/l rate when not d/l'ing to 70... thinking that 60 is doable and if no d/l'ing is occuring I could possible get up to 70. Im not sure if my logic checks.

Thanks again for all your insight and links.

I get what you're saying, but when I set it to the 512 setting my upload rate drops a bit. My computer seems to match up best for the xxx.512 setting yet my u/l rate wants to be higher. That's why I manually set it higher. Also, why not just leave the u/l rate at "0" and let it do whatever it wants?

Downloading while seeding is covered in the FAQ. Though it isn't necessarily the fact you're trying to upload... it's that as you increase download your ability to upload diminishes based upon OS hardware and network factors. You can change your upload as you see fit, but understand just because sometimes being able to upload higher may be due to not downloading, or that the peers are special and may be "local" to you in your area or ISP. It is expected to be able to upload a bit higher when not donwloading :D That's why the option is there.

If you want to see the difference, you can run only uploading torrents and then try downloading off the Openoffice or slackware and see how as you lower your upload throughput the download increases. So your logic is understandable and correct. If you want to read more you can check out btfaq.com and if you haven't done so yet check out the uT User Manual.

why not just leave the u/l rate at "0" and let it do whatever it wants?

Because uploading too quickly leaves not enough bandwidth to acknowledge retrieval of data with other peers, meaning they might not upload the next piece of data to you (thus slowing down the download rate).

Archived