I can't access my router can I still forward my port?

sultaan

I have a wireless blue box in my office and it says it is a wireless router but the gateway that i have is 192.168.1.1 which means i am not directly connected to the router and so cannot access my router, are there any ways to get Utorrent working in such condition and get maximum speed? and without bothering my self finding the actual router and begging for doing so? Let me add that I don't have any firewalls or any other application coming in the way.

Thanks for the reply Switeck,

but UPnp doesn't work. If lets say my computer is behind two or more routers is it possible that the tech person responsible for the very first router or say the company is able to forward me the port through those routers and many shares of internet connections?

secondly, if you are the only person forwarding the port in the swamp and all others are not, is it still possible that you gain speed more than 10K?

third, will this port forwarding cause a threat to the security of all other computers connected to the same chain of routers which i am part of?

Thank you once again for your attention,

Regards,

If the first router were forwarded and your router were forwarded too for the same port, then you should be contact-able by others on the internet on that port and uTorrent should run fine with that port. But a software or hardware firewall between the internet and your computer would probably auto-kill all of the packets bound for that port. :(

Secondly, if you are forwarding your router's port but the router above you isn't forwarded...you're still 100% firewalled 100% of the time.

If you connect to an unfirewalled peer or seed, whether you're port forwarded or not should NOT affect your download+upload speeds with him/her.

Thirdly, security is in theory reduced for YOUR computer because it has an unshielded port forwarded to it...however that assumes you have an exploitable program listening on that port that will ACT on the incoming data on that port in a way that is either undesirable for you or your workplace. A (Distributed?) Denial-of-Service attack would work without any program that's exploitable...if the sole goal is just to disable access.

Archived