new~ Need Help About Speed & Getting No incoming Connections

casican

not sure what broadband im using at min 1 or 2mb "speed test was 1571.3 kbps"

my download speed is 10-30kbs average with good enough seeds, sometime it will go to 1-10 and if good 30-50 but it never stays that speed for long,upload speed always seems to be higher than my download speed, is it ment to be like this, is this what my speed should be like or is it going slow? iv also got the yellow triangle saying no incoming connections and its always there

i dont really know much about all of this so can anyone help?

Use the setup guide (Guides page link 3#). You can test with OpenOffice or Slackware there to see if you really are stuck @ that speed. Your ISP may employ shaping profeils, so you should first make sure you're working, then try the steps listed in How-To link below post #2. It also may be as simple as Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent -> FORCED encryption and disallow legacy connections.

ok i will check for a guide soon and see how it goes

i have done the ctrl p and swithced the protocol encrypton from enable to forced and unchecked the "allow legacy connections" dont think anything has changed tho, does any off the other boxes need ticked or unticked

my speed was set at xx/2mbit , what shall i change it too?

at the min my im downloading and the speed is below 1kb :/

so to get my upload speed i divide my speed "1571.3" by 8 and then multiply that number by 0.8? is that correct? well i got 157.13 so i set the xx/192k

its now a red ! saying not connectible but its still down & uploading

iv started downloading slackware but its queued , what is it ment to do ?

k iv followed all the steps in the set guide down to Setting up a static IP

done alll and typed in the default gateway to my web browser "bt home hub", but when i try to click on something it pops up saying authentication required where i have to type my user name & pass into but i dont know what the user name and pass is, and its not admin/admin, i tried, anyway of finding out wat it is?

connection is green now for the first time downloads still below 6kb

1500 is your download. NOT your upload. Queued means you have other torrents before it. What you can do is use the up arrow on the toolbar to put Slackware to the top, or simply Right click and FORCE-start it. The reason for using OOo or SW is to verify you CAN download that fast. I don't know directly about the homehub but I do know a search for "bthomehub" "bt homehub" or "home hub" should pop up threads previously involving that brand :/

is that not how i find my upload speed? by dividing my download speed by 8?

ok im downloading slackware now to test my speed, its hitting 120-170kbs uploading at 2-5kbs

so is this what my speed should be going at on a normal torrent with good enough seeds?

No, your upload speed max is UNRELATED to your download speed max. Typically it is lower for most lines...MUCH lower!

Example:

I'm on ComCast, paying for the lower-end cable deal of 6mbps dl/384kbps up.

My download max is supposedly 6 megabits/sec...but lately the top download speeds I've seen are only around 400 KiloBYTES/sec...which works out to be about 3.3-4 megabits/sec.

My upload max is supposedly 384 kilobits/sec...but my actual sustainable upload speed max in uTorrent is 42 or 43 KiloBYTES/sec...which works out to be about 340-430 kilobits/sec. 8 bits may make 1 BYTE, but 1 BYTE of file transfer takes 8 bits for the file and often a few more bits for who you're sending it to, what port they're on, what protocol they're using, various BitTorrent flags, etc, etc...

Upload-wise, I'm getting pretty much what I'm paying for.

Download-wise, I'm only getting about 2/3 as much at least during 'peak' evening hours.

Slackware should max out your download speed...but there's so many fast seeds on it that your upload may be very low or idle from what it's capable of.

On "regular" torrents with lots of peers and few seeds, especially LARGE 1+ GB torrents, upload speed often stays maxed out but download speed may not be any greater than upload speed...since almost everyone is a peer rather than a seed.

Archived