uTorrent self priority and affinity setting

Iwo

It will be nice when user could set 1) priority of app 2) affinity of app.

Both of course can be set by task manager. But I mean setting, which is always applied - by uTorrent itself. No need to use external apps.

BENEFITS

AD1) Sometimes we run CPU-Intensive apps, like compressing ones (7-zip, winrar) or games, but we want uTorrent to work at full speed. Setting to HIGH or Above Normal priority could help. Realtime should not be allowed (shortest way to crash system).

AD2) Most apps are single-threaded. Probably uTorrent too. There is common tweak to boost speed of e.g. single threaded games by setting affinity of game to CPU1 (which means second core or second CPU) and systems apps to CPU0. For non-native quad-core processors (2x2 not 4x1) like Intel Core Quad, setting CPU2 or 3 for one app and CPU 0 or 1 for second also leads to not sharing L2 cache.

I, for example, set game to CPU1 and uTorrent, eMule, taskmgr, Skype, firefox, explorer (it is quite wise to close explorer), IM app and others to CPU0.

Counting on OS auto setting of affinity (CPU0 _and_ CPU1 and CPUX) is not so good. Two apps working at 100% on dual core processor work faster with fixed affinity than with OS-auto-on-the-fly-menaged. There was optimized BOINC client which set all apps to fixed affinity.

>70% of people I know have two+ core processors or P4 HT. Only 2 persons have Athlon XP or Athlon 64. All new computers they buy, are with 2Cores, one with 4. With WTM I need to set this setting each time - with option in uTorrent, this setting will be aplied automatically each time.

Actually, uTorrent is multithreaded.

Although no one task is spread across multiple threads, each task (disk, network, new connections, interface) has a separate thread. Affinity would actually potentially degrade performance of the system by clumping all the threads on the one processor core.

Your process priority suggestion still has some merit, but affinity forcing a multithreaded application is just asking for trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

So, If I have one, single-core processor, I force encryption for both incoming and outgoing connections, I have >100 connections and >5 torrents working - then I start CPU-hungry app like some games - both uTorrent and this app are in normal priority - do you think, that there will not be any slowdowns for uTorrent ?

BTW. Any idea, why eMule HAS option to select self priority ?

If your game is using the CPU for rendering you have a larger problem. Encryption between peers adds negligible overhead CPU-wise, it does add some bandwidth. uTorrent would react just as similarly as Explorer would in that case, nothing more or less negative of an impact no matter what other software you're running.

emule is a separate program and as such why do you think the developers for uT would know the philosophy behind another application's included features?

Well... Automatic priority at startup I can see the benefits in itself, but when starting your "other CPU-intensive" task like 7zip, shouldn't 7-zip have an similar option too, to get it automatically below normal ;)

Anyways, I'd like to see priority option in every program...

• 3 years later...
Actually, uTorrent is multithreaded.

Although no one task is spread across multiple threads, each task (disk, network, new connections, interface) has a separate thread. Affinity would actually potentially degrade performance of the system by clumping all the threads on the one processor core.

Your process priority suggestion still has some merit, but affinity forcing a multithreaded application is just asking for trouble.

This is why affinity is pointless.

Well... Automatic priority at startup I can see the benefits in itself, but when starting your "other CPU-intensive" task like 7zip, shouldn't 7-zip have an similar option too, to get it automatically below normal ;)

uT is more likely to run then 7z. You don't run 7z 24/7 :P

Anyways, I'd like to see priority option in every program...

Nah, it'd make more sense to have the OS take care of that.

My ut is pretty much unaffected when I do other stuff. Even played Crysis while torrenting.

Good for you, but that doesn't mean other people can't be affected.

Archived