Internet surfing slowdown while using uTorrent

below413

When my housemate or I are using uTorrent, it becomes nearly impossible to surf the internet. Web pages take forever to load or simply do not load at all. I have tried limiting upload speeds and that didn't help. I am confused as to why him downloading at 26 Kb/s and upload at 20 Kb/s would interfere with our broadband cable connection this much. We can get great torrent speeds, and when neither of us are running uTorrent we get great speed test results on our connection (~6800d/760u). We are running on a linksys router and I am wired to it and he is on wireless. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Bandwidth is not your issue since you're not saturating it. You may have too many connections open and its killing your router. On my Netgear router, I've had to resort to using a very low global connection setting like 50 to keep the router happy. Hopefully, my new WRT54GL with Tomato firmware will let me bump that back up. It also has QoS so I can give HTTP traffic top priority while bittorrent traffic gets lowest priority.

Archived