uTorrent vs Azureus

Rag

You utorrent fanboys need to bloody chill. If you want to test how much slower utorrent is than azureus go to any anime torrent site with its 200+ seeders 500+ peers per torrent. You'll see that azureus time and time again ramps up to full speed in good time while utorrent for reasons i dont know chokes and sputters. And for the record i love utorrent its small, uses little ressources and has a nice interface. However the bottom line is azureus performs much better and so i must use that ressource hog instead :\

accez

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am relived that i am not the only one having problems connecting to low quality torrents. i have 8Mbps/1Mbps connection, i am not behind router so the test was pretty acurate, i did the test multiple times with diferent torrents and all of them are showing same results.

i only hope that this client improves in future so i can switch back to it....

=o

Firon probably has a 4-5mbps connection... he was able to grab 8MB in 10 minutes, twice what you had from Azureus in the same amount of time. There probably is something wrong on your end (I'm saying this objectively, from the evidence provided so far). For me, µTorrent has been as fast as any other client I've used, and the connection rate was not an exception. Hm.

yes that probobly has to do with the torrent beein downloaded by more peers so he was able to connect to more seeders and probobly get faster speed. i have done this test 1 day ago so it was slower back then.

one more thing, he didn't test using same method as i did, i have used Azures and uTorrent one after another two times so i could actualy look up which one is connecting faster to more seeds/peers in the amount of time. i would love to see results from him using both clients.

speeds, kb, kB, whateva. I used to use Az and the fastest I got a 1GB file was in

2-3 hrs. Using uT, the fastest was/is in 1hr 15 min-1h 30 min. I am among those who say its the settings. I even say the speeds are similar. To me, uT is as fast or faster.

Like Firon, I regulary get those speed too in regular to nice size swarms. I got a 10 Mbps down/800k up connection. Hell, I even maxed out at 900k on a certain torrent. Even still, I maxed out at 900k on both Az and uT on that same torrent.

Settings, default settings, advanced options, port forwarding, ur ISP, static/dynamic IP, connectable/non-connectable, what version of XP u using, public/private site...

Did I leave anything out.....lol (im sure I did)

I thought the speed debates between different clients were finish long ago.....

µTorrent first, then Azureus second

actualy that was the order in which i did the test, i also try'd other way around, first Azureus then uTorrent, so thats probobly not it.

speeds, kb, kB, whateva. I used to use Az and the fastest I got a 1GB file was in

2-3 hrs. Using uT, the fastest was/is in 1hr 15 min-1h 30 min. I am among those who say its the settings. I even say the speeds are similar. To me, uT is as fast or faster.

i tested a very fast torrent which is open office and for some reason it showed that uTorrent is faster then Azureus, on high speed torrents. in case where i downloaded slow torrent with little seeds it showed that Azureus has better performance, as shown in first post.

are we all using the latest version? Cuz whateva ludde did, now my peers dont jump around anymore, I can seed til I have no more peers left, my upload doesnt throttle down to zero whithin 5-10 min when Im done downloading ( I got ISP issues and those were my main problems when using Az and I still had those problems using uT til this latest version)

Oh I forgot "what port u use" in my previous post. I do notice uT connecting slower to peers compared to Az. (but not with this latest version) But couldnt that be changed in the settings, either in uT and/or in the OS?

Oh, by the way, µT and Az show peer connection counts differently. Azureus includes half-open connections (as in not fully established) in the values, µT only shows completed connections. :)

I've got Azureus installed, I could test it I guess. My µT connects pretty fast, but I'm not using net.max_halfopen of 8. I'm using 70, with tcpip patched to 100.

-snip- I am among those who say its the settings. I even say the speeds are similar. To me, uT is as fast or faster. -snip-

amen. As far as it pertains to me it IS the settings.

-snip- Cuz whateva ludde did, now my peers dont jump around anymore, I can seed til I have no more peers left -snip-

amen again. This version hits home for now.

-snip-Oh, by the way, µT and Az show peer connection counts differently. Azureus includes half-open connections (as in not fully established) in the values, µT only shows completed connections. -snip-

Oh REALLY?? That is some interesting info, does the Comet count that way as well? That would explain the peer count differrence.

µTorrent first, then Azureus second

actualy that was the order in which i did the test, i also try'd other way around, first Azureus then uTorrent, so thats probobly not it.

i tested a very fast torrent which is open office and for some reason it showed that uTorrent is faster then Azureus, on high speed torrents. in case where i downloaded slow torrent with little seeds it showed that Azureus has better performance, as shown in first post.

I found that when i enabled UPNP - slow torrents (few seeds/peers) took longer to connect to seeds/peers. When i disabled UPNP and set uTorrent to a fixed port number, i also port forwarded the port in use in my router, TCP and UDP and it was lightning fast. Faster than any other client. uTorrent just rulezz..

UPnP works great for about a week, then basically bombs out and whatever I do I can't get it working again. :P So I've given up and now I just use regular port-forwarding. (D-Link here.)

Yet another completely improper test that depends on so many other factors its not even funny.

He did run it twice, and the differences were pretty notable. I'm not saying that the problems are 100% µT's fault - just that I'm inclined to believe that there is a problem with his setup of µT which may be correctable with settings.

Would it be out of line to suggest that as µTorrent and Azureus use different implementations of DHT there could be a reason for the difference.

I would say that this is probably the most likely difference. µTorrent is just as good as Azureus always was for me on private sites. However it's noticeably lacking for me on public torrents, especially those that are "dying" and I would put this down to the fact that as everyone has said countless times, mainline DHT sucks.

One last thing to point out though... the link to the site should probably be removed. And those images should probably be edited.

yes, I was beginning to think I was the only one who noticed that.

It's nice to see that it's not only me whose had a laugh at some of the "scientific" tests some users have done to compare bittorrent versions :D

To gain a viable statistical table of numbers that are VALID, you must try a wide variety of torrents with each program, and make sure that each peer connects to each torrent and that each peer doesn't drop out or change his/her speed. <- This is impossible to achieve, therefore a perfect speedtest isn't possible.

But, say you make one thousand tests on a few hundred different torrents and log each speed and average and similar data into a table.. THEN you'd have something that points towards a specific direction, and you'd be able to draw some sort of ... rough conclusion to which client was best in doing what.

But this "I tried it with two torrents" isn't going to hold water I'm afraid.

We aren't blinded µTorrent fans, we never said that it wasn't possible that µTorrent is slower,

what we said is that your tests aren't made properly and therefore doesn't prove anything,

just because of the loads of variables that is involved in it.

To make a somewhat good test, read bleh's post (nr #43).

Another info that you should know read second quote in BlackLion's post (nr #37).

Archived