Do I need to enable Upnp and NAT-PMP port mapping ?

Ediii

lol, if you re-read the question, you'll realize that it can be interpreted in two ways:

1) "does µTorrent use TCP, or does µTorrent use UDP?"

2) "does µTorrent use either TCP or UDP?"

So uh, I'm guessing you were asking (1), but DWK answered (2) (similar but different questions).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. I've just downloaded Utorrent and I have to say it is an excellent program. I was wondering about UPnP and NAT-PMP also. I followed all the instructions on portforward.com and manually set up port forwarding. I ran the test and it worked ok.

I later opened Utorrent and selected Preferences/Connection and I noticed that the checkboxes for both UPnP port mapping and NAT-PMP port mapping were ticked and enabled. Since I have set up port forwarding manually, is it OK to uncheck these boxes and disable UPnP port mapping and NAT-PMP port mapping?

What effect will it have? Thanks.

NAT-PMP is usually only appliable to apple hardware. UPnP is useful if you like rotating your port, or don't want to be locked into the same rule on the go. Sometimes UPnP is not enabled by default so it's sometimes just easier to forward ports if you're already connected and logged into your router.

For you disabling both of those options will not cause any harm as you're already setup :)

If you get sub-par performance try it. There's no disadvantage to it... it adds up to additional overhead between peers which understand encryption however for the delta to be noticeable you'll probably already have other problems like high churn rate (connected peers and hapf open) and bad settings (too many upload slots).

Personally I like FORCED encryption and dis-allow legacy connections for the sheer fact that I prefer people I connect to not have to deal with shaping problems if they are apt to happen. Note my setting of dis-allow legacy (unencrypted) may cut you off from a vital seed in a small swarm.

• 3 years later...

Archived