Enable or Disable Upload/Download limit lines in the Speed Graph

agent007bond

If I set any of the download limit to, say, 1000, but my download is lurking around 10 to 20, the download graph would become so tiny that it's almost useless, because it is drawn for the entire stretch until the limit 1000.

uTorrent should provide an option in the speed Graph tab where you can enable or disable the display of limits in the graph. Disabling the display should make the graph's Y axis automatically scale to fit the highest download speed shown on screen. In the above example, it should be until around 25-30 (automatically decided to best fit the graph) so that the graph would be more useful.

The same goes for upload, and "Upload & Download".

utorrentlimit.png

Drawing was created in Paint.NET using Tablet PC

I'm asking for enabling of the autoscale, even when limits are present.

Okay, I will show it to you through a drawing. This is based on the example I mentioned above.

Image has been moved to post above.

By the way, the "1000" download limit is just an example I picked to create a drastic difference between "limits display on" and "limit display off" modes, as you can see in the picture above. Please do not assume that I am using such limits in my copy of uTorrent.

I think jewelisheaven means that it autoscales to the limit. Anyway, I would like this as well, except if the speed is close to whatever limit is set I would like it to lock to it, maybe when at .50-.75 or greater of the limit (I.E. downloading at 450, limit is 600, autoscale to 600).

Just a thought.

@GTHK: Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

I don't find any point in drawing a straight line through the entire graph continuously, representing the constant unchanging limit. Nobody is going to change the limit every five minutes, and as far as I know, uTorrent doesn't automatically adjust the limits according to conditions. So instead of drawing straight line on graph, uTorrent can very well specify the limit as a number on the corner of graph or the statusbar (which it already can!)

actually it sorta does adjust the limit, but only for uploads (tick the box next to where you enter the upload limit in settings)

the other thing bugging me somewhat is that the auto-adjust is different between the resolutions of the graph, so if i had a say 300k spike in an avg constant 100k download say 20minutes ago, then the first two resolutions (1sec, 5sec) would fill up to 100, but the latter ones would adjust to 300... its just kinda weird.

i usually have it on 5 secs, and sometimes i check what went on before, the curve just jumps around

maybe the auto-adjust should take it's value from the widest timeframe?

So can I expect this feature in the next version? :) :)

@Raziel:

The checkbox "Alternate upload when not downloading" is not what I'm talking about. I was talking about uTorrent automatically varying the limit instead of keeping it at a constant level. That never happens, as of now (it's pretty pointless for that to happen anyway, but I'm just saying it doesn't).

The auto-adjust stretches itself to fit the part of graph that is displayed on screen. It is normal. It doesn't make sense to stretch the graph to fit spikes that are not on screen. Also, you must note that the graph is always showing the latest data, and you cannot scroll back into the past. At 1 second resolution, the graph only shows the last 2 minutes. A 300k spike 20 minutes ago is way past this time frame and therefore not displayed on screen. So it is unnecessary to stretch the graph to include this spike.

You are incorrect about the Speed tab history http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=287901#p287901 . You failed the same classic blunder HOLLYWOOD executives failed to understand in the movie Entrapment. A minute is 60 seconds not 100.

Best I could find including pictures at multiple intervals ... http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=302055#p302055

You need to explain SOMETHING better or I'm apt to think you're off your rocker. At the current interval uT only shows the data relevant to that timeframe. It does not "hold" the scale at previous limits. You can see this pretty easily if you have a set upload switch to only upload view and start at 1 second. For ex @ 50 you may find 55 is the max @ 1sec, 53 @ 5 sec, 51 @ 30sec and 50@ 5min since there are no times when for at least 5 minutes uT is going over your set limit of 50

Okay, sorry.. I made a stupid mistake *blush*... but you didn't need to elaborate on it!

Well yea i had a longer and more complicated explanation than yours. Explains why I can't be a teacher :P But that's what came to my mind! Everyone is unique you know.

Actually there is an option called "Automatic" for the upload limit, but it doesn't change much anyway. Just changes the upload limit every once in a while.

At 1 second resolution, the graph only shows the last 2 minutes. A 300k spike 20 minutes ago is way past this time frame and therefore not displayed on screen. So it is unnecessary to stretch the graph to include this spike.

that's what i meant, and in my opinion it's a little inconsistent to see the graph jump up and down when canging timeframes (or weird seeing it "float up", if a spike passes out of the current view)

that's why i suggested that the auto adjust should always conform to the widest timeframe

but after some thinking i realized that it would still "float" up/down if a spike leaves/enters said timeframe, so i think my suggestion is not that useful ;) (it was just a tought really)

@jewelisheaven: Okay. Thanks for the in-depth info.

@Raziel: Yea I've seen that before. The graph stretches as a spike leaves the time frame. It shrinks when a new spike enters. Well, it's how auto-scaling works.

I've noticed that this topic is going off-topic (no pun intended).

Developer(s) modding the forum, if you've seen my feature request above, please post in your comments and views about it. Thank you :)

[Post edited due to clash with Raziel's post.. lol!]

Been six months! Any way this feature will ever be implemented in uTorrent? nobody gets me??

Cross-reference: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=46137

Archived