Linksys WRT54G v6 crashing uTorrent

alfun

i have a linksys befcmu10 cable modem with a linksys wrt54g v6 router. if i leave uTorrent on for too long (about 8 hours or more) it crashes my internet connection and then i have to power cycle my modem and router. i have read the stickies and used the search function but still cannot find out how to fix my problem. i believe the wrt54g v5 and up routers had no way of using 3rd party firmwares to fix this problem. is there a fix for this that i haven't found yet? or could it be something else crashing my internet connection?

yes upgrade to DD WRT firmware if possible.

that will solve your problem

linksys are known to die easy with more than 100 connections using the factory firmware, but using DDWRT you are good to go all the way to 4000 connections without a problem

just make sure you set time out to 120

While 4096 is the limit that can be set in the DD-WRT settings, it seems v6 can't even handle that, I did load testing... either that or the mass connection generation part of the load testing caused it, I never tested the two seperately... no wait, my dads µT is configured wrong, high connections but normal max half open, lots of router crashes. Anyway, I'm gonna make a little upgrade package thing out of boredom, it'll be useful anyway, instructions and files in one place.

GTHK - I'm using DD-WRT on my v6, the method is a little longer then with v4 and down versions but I can instruct if you'd like. First though, what exactly have you tried? And second, try lowering your max global connections.

i'm using the latest linksys firmware with the recommended uTorrent settings for my connection. max global connections is set at 80. what do you mean what have i tried?

I mean tell us what you have done to try and fix it so we can try and tell you what else to try. Also, when I tried the latest Linksys firmware of the time it sucked, DD-WRT is definitely better, and I don't think it's possible to change the connection time outs on the stock firmware. Using DD-WRT may fix your problem. I made a little install package with instructions based on my own experience, you could try installing DD-WRT.

• 1 year later...

I have done some more reading on the DD-WRT firmware and was wondering if anyone with these routers had success flashing to the dd-wrt v24 micro? Was it worth it to flash to the dd-wrt firmware instead of using the Linksys firmware? The flashing procedures sound complicated. I mainly want to do this because I think the Linksys firmware is crashing my router from using uTorrent. Which tutorial have you guys used for successful flashing? I am scared to brick my router.

Archived