Encryption on/off is where?

Martindoom

Hey all. Yip another nOOb prob. I'm not exactly new, been using utorrent for over a year with no probs at all after i got my port fwd'd and PG2 + proxy installed. My prob is this: I just read something in the forums on a torrent search engine site that got me thinking about utorrent encryption and is it on or not. Where can i check if it's on and switch it on if it's not?

Thanks for any answers.

The lord said "Go forth and multiply" I guess that's heavenly support for file sharing huh!?!

Thanks for the help. Prob solved already. No idea what the connection is between index forum and encryption. I posted in 'General' from the page 'http://forum.utorrent.com' as 'Troubleshooting' said 'Connection:close' in my FF browser when i tried to access it and it wasn't really trouble shooting anyway. I'm not trying to dis you or anything but your last paragraph goes against all safety guidelines for anonymity. You must have read all the news about people being fined and losing there net connection for illicit downloads. Why does PG2 and vidalia exist in the 1st place? I must have read your post wrong as no one wants to be shut down by p2pabusers etc?

PG2 is just an IP blocker, which can be configured with block lists from Bluetack, however as the two articles found in jewelisheavens link show the lists themselves are ineffective, addresses change after all, then there is the blocking of the µT site which can prevent DHT bootstrapping and the blocking of some of ESET's anti-virus update servers which gave NOD32 users trouble getting AV updates. In short, legitimate stuff gets blocked by Bluetacks ineffective lists, and you can't count on any other lists for protection either.

If what you want to download would break the law, don't do it. The reference to blocking being useless is... well did you read it? After MD internal memos and databases leaked that audit tested only a small subset of peers. Add that to the fact whatever mechanisms the companies use are not vetted at all or have any method for providing evidence... they don't need to use a company computer. The only blocklist you should use is one you make yourself.

I want to upload my own music material and i face a lot of 'music peers' in the traditional sense, trying to copy my music. I also happen to use the same computer for personal use as i use for work and it is my job on the line if my pc is usurped or compromised vis-a-vis it's data content. In addition i live in the FSU countries (yes more than 1) and my work is sensitive to some in this kneck of the woods. I hate being jugdged at the out set as a but i guess your intent was well meant - stealing in any form is wrong and counter productive, although i don't agree with the way the laws re p2p are being draconially employed (China for instance). WwJd

That's my point. It's also date stamped (and they can't search sound samples or, random song names or musical notation/bars of music, yet lol) which is (in this instance, trust me i have a good - f'ing expensive - lawyer and other legal work done prior,) proof of intelectual property. The, who wrote/who performed/who made it famous, royalties question is as clear as mud. You see it's not the file out there i i'm interested in, it's getting it there without being intercepted along with the diaries of creation. Not just that but my unrelated data content re my day job, is light-weight for normal countries but the authorities out here have already tried suprresive tactics. I'd be a full not to do all i can and believe me i do have my own blocklist.

Do you have any suggestions for security when personal and family safety is the point? Gratefully received if you do. My NGO does ok so far but monetary resources are not always fluid and we work in the Hum,rights area.

Archived