download speed problem

nickalbe

Hi, i recently had to reformat my harddrive and redo all of my utorrent setting. Previously i could get aboout 300 kB/s download speed and sometime a little more. Now i cant even break 100 kB/s.Ive restored my old settings but the annoying yellow light is on. Can anyone suggest how i can increase my speeds and remove the yellow light? I have a charter internet 3mb/387kb connection. I have no router and just use window's firewall. Do i still need to port forward even though i do not use a router? I have done all of the normal setup stuff to increase my speed like that patch etc...

onther info...

windows xp w/ sp2 on an imac 2G ram

net.max_half open set to 68

motorola SB5120 surfboard cable modem

if any other info will be helpful let me know and thanks im sgoin crazy w/ these slow speeds!!

i reset half-open back to 8 and im downloading slackware rite now as i type. Nothing is happening,not even 1 kb/s. in fact im not able to download/upload anything rite now. i havnt opened utorrent in about a week (since my first post) and when i do im geting nothing! Can this really be because of charter or is it something to do w/ my setup/settings. would charter really just stop allowing me to download?

It is possible more changed when you reinstalled windows. Be sure you are getting as clean a connection (no extra software or hardware between you and your modem) as possible. You should turn the Windows Firewall on at least for the test if you are not behind NAT as uT works well with it. This means closing or uninstalling any additional security software or filtering software or "network management software"... I don't know about charter personally but it doesn't get a good rap around here.

Archived