Cannot forward port with Vista Home Premium

raffs

Hi I have recently installed Vista Home Premium and am having problems forwarding my port.

I have had no difficulty running through the guide on portforwarding.com for Windows XP, however when I try to use the guide for the Netgear router when trying to achieve a static IP in Vista I cannot find an alternative DNS server.

When I do the ipconfig/all command I get only one DNS server showing and that is the same address as the default gateway.

Virgin is my ISP.

Can anyone help?....Please.

Not usualy, except in cases that I know of regarding IPv6 and certain routers ... the DNS records don't forward or whatnot. All that means is that you are setup to pull DNS from your router as a proxy to the DNS on your ISP. Generally speaking it works... and I do that on my LAN when forcing connections. If you are having troubles with it, I know you can set the IP and DNS separately on XP... perhaps you can try turning on "Get DNS automatically" and leave your IP manually selected.

Another thing to check... In your netgear setup is your WAN IP (may be external IP) also 192.168.x.x 10.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x ? That is a sign you are also behind a NAT for your modem.

Hi thanks for the help. Strangest thing, when I went to configure the port again it is now reading as open!?

Anyway not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth I will be happy with this and thank you very much for your help. Go raibh maith agat. :)

Archived