Peer list - Now I see you, Now I don't

peyote

Hi there,

I've noticed the peer tab shows 1(15) and the peer list shows only one peer. When I do right click, copy peer list and paste it on my notepad I get a much bigger list (coincidentally about 15 IP addresses) Why are those other peers hidden? What's the rationale behind this?

Also, at times when seeding (I have the complete torrent) it looks like I'm still downloading (0.1KB/s) on and off. Is this normal?

Helping comments appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks for your comment. I might have a port forwarding problem in the office but at home I'm sure port forwarding is fine. Actually I put the torrent PC in DMZ so I'm not sure port forwarding could be a problem.

Now, if I have a port forwarding problem, wouldn't that cause a problem for all? If some connect but some don't... ?

On some routers DMZ CAUSES these port problems. If you're not properly forwarded it's not uncommon to have limited connectivity... two firewalled peers will never connect.

If you have checked portforward.com and can't get the rules up, can you show a picture of what kinds of setup options you've got for your router to see how it behaves with a forwarding rule set.

Also you HAVE tried OpenOffice torrents or Slackware torrents right?

That degreez link shed some light. portforward.com doesn't help much since I'm using an obscure poorly documented badly serviced Russian router. It has a straight forward setting for port forwarding I tried it and couldn't make uTorrent work at all, so I put the PC in DMZ. After that uTorrent started working.

I have downloaded those torrents, found no obvious problems. I have the green connection thingy in uTorrent status bar and the test port at utorrent says I'm forwarding ok, hence my confusion. But now that it seems that's not the whole story and the router is to blame I'm gonna replace it for a better one.

Thanks again.

Archived