uTorrent won't die

nstickels

I have seen several problems the last few months with uTorrent. I don't know whether it was due to some update Windows Update that I got for Vista, or from updating my version of uTorrent, but now, anytime I try to actually stop the process, it won't. Previous to that, I used uTorrent like a champ without incident on this laptop.

I can show a screenshot of the uTorrent window if anyone wants to see it, but basically, when I go to hit File->Exit it will open up the "Are you sure you want to shutdown windows" and then it just chances to "uTorrent 1.7.7 (Not Responding)". This has happened for sure with 1.7.5, 1.7.6 and 1.7.7.

Additionally, if I go into the task manager, and try to kill the uTorrent.exe process, it won't die there. This has happened at three different locations on three different networks, so I don't think it is related to a network issue. Additionally, I have had the same AV and FW (ZoneAlarm) both previously when uTorrent was working, and now, so I don't believe that is the issue.

Note this happens consistently, as in everytime I run uTorrent. Rebooting is the only way to actually fix the problem, and even at that, I can't do a regular shutdown, as windows sits there forever trying to end the process and can't, so I have to actually power off the box to get it to shutdown.

Well at first I turn off zone alarm and load up pg2. Then load up my torrents, when i try to close it with the window OPEN it will not close nor will the process end, so it just crashes. But if I minimize it to the system tray it will close. But sometimes I forget to do that, so i'm just wondering if it could be fixed....

I'm using windows vista by the way..

A few things...

DreadWingKnight - I said I don't get on the internet, not that I can't. I choose not to get on the internet if I don't have my firewall running. I have been hit too often with various problems that I don't want to expose myself to that.

jewelisheaven - It doesn't initiates a windows shutdown, I said that I can't perform a windows shutdown, because windows spins forever trying to close the utorrent.exe process and can't.

As for how I can cause this to happen...

1. Start uTorrent

2. Try to stop utorrent by either:

a. File->Exit in the uTorrent client

b. Open task manager and stop the utorrent.exe process

In either case, the uTorrent client does not stop, and the utorrent.exe process does not stop. This happens every time I try to close uTorrent.

DreadWingKnight, what nstickels describes is the exact problem I'm having. It wouldn't make sense opening another thread on the same topic, neither will it hijacking the thread.

I have ZA firewall and avira antivirus always running and I'm always connected to the internet, but can't easily shut down uT like other applications.

I didn't say I was unwilling to try that. I was asking that let's say that I do try, and it turns out that not using ZoneAlarm does make the problem go away. Are you going to help me then? Are are you going to say that my solution is to not use ZoneAlarm?

You ask how? Well if it hooks into apps, (which it does) when the hooked app is told to close it's possible ZA didn't get the note. In this case Windows says uT is at fault when it's waiting for ZA to close its process down.... you dig?

josegee, WHICH window is open? PeerGuardian should not have any impact on uT. To be sure get a DLL list from Process Explorer with utorrent.exe highlighted and post it in here.

nstickels, did that happen to coincide with an update to ZA, or some extra feature which became enabled?

... I'm all for saying it's not ZoneAlarm's fault, as some people report it causes no problems on their computer. Even more people however say it does. Uninstalling it is the SUREST way to make sure it's not interfering. Would you rather the suport staff take the opposing view that i's the user which is causing the problem? I didn't think so.

Please provide the information asked for in the How-To. It makes diagnosing problems magnitudes easier.

For the me it's the MAIN WINDOW of utorrent, i can see all the downloads and stuff and since i have vista it fades away and just stays there... utorrent doesn't show on the proccess list for me tho... i also have zone alarm... dwk how can i post the log??

Hello. I've been having the same problem as everyone else in this thread.

I am using Windows Vista and recently upgraded to Vista SP1 earlier today.

Even with the SP1 update, the problem still persists.

I have provided information below.

http://www.zshare.net/download/9160580322c017 = Hijack Info

http://www.zshare.net/download/9160611b69ad9a = Process Explorer Info

I was unable to find the .dmp file for utorrent.

I hope this helps.

- Alex

Archived