Help with Connections.

JKM78613

Hi, as you can probably tell, I'm new here but I am having some issues.

I am running the latest stable version of uTorrent (1.7.7) and for some reason, I cannot connect to a significant amount of peers for the life of me.

I used the guide for Port Forwarding and was able to open up ports and get a good connection (according to the green circle with the checkmark inside of it in uTorrent). I also set up a static IP address inside of my router for my wireless connection to go through. I also patched my Windows XP SP2 to allow more half-open connections.

My download speeds are very good, in the 500-600 Kb/s range. However, during download, my upload speed is a measly 2-3 Kb/s AND when the download finishes and the file goes into "Seeding" mode, the upload stops and goes 0.1 kB/s at the FASTEST.

I have tried port forwarding, setting up a static IP address, removing all firewalls, upgrading router firmware, etc and still nothing is improving my speeds.

It should also be noted that apparently, when I go into 'Network Connections' and look at my wireless connection, there is a connection above it that says 'Internet Gateway' and I have no clue what that is, as I have never seen it before. Apparently now, my wireless connection connects to some gateway connection (even though it's connected directly to the wireless router, which is connected into the modem, so I don't know where this 'gateway is).

Also, I am on a TimeWarner Cable RoadRunner connection.

Thanks in advance!

It should also be noted that apparently, when I go into 'Network Connections' and look at my wireless connection, there is a connection above it that says 'Internet Gateway' and I have no clue what that is, as I have never seen it before. Apparently now, my wireless connection connects to some gateway connection (even though it's connected directly to the wireless router, which is connected into the modem, so I don't know where this 'gateway is).

Your wireless router is this gateway. Plain and simple.

Halfopen connection limits won't solve your issues.

Connecting to a large percentage of peers in the swarm is harmful to both your speeds and your internet connection hardware.

Compare the numbers in the seeds and peers columns for the torrent to your per-torrent connection limits in preferences.

Take a picture or list your connection settings. Slowrunner offers two plans, xx/384 and xx/768. Truthfully they say it's .5 Mbit and 1Mbit for the extra $20 a month, but you still can't upload to websites that fast, let alone over bittorrent. Unless you know you're paying for "Turbo" I think it's probable you're overloading the connection. Setting Ctrl-G in uT to xx/384 should re-configure your uT for the lower speed, and auto-reduce connections and torrents. This allows a more efficient usage of your line.

I do envy you though you don't appear to be on any of the shaped segments >< best I can muster is 2Mbit down.

funnnnyvp9.png

I changed it to xx/384 like you suggested.

As for RR, it says I get 4-5 Mbit down and 500 kBit up. I seeded a 70MB file all night and it only managed to upload about 12 MB of it.

For some reason I connect to alot of Seeds, but once it stops downloading, it doesn't want to connect to any peers. In fact, it will connect to 5 peers at the most for many files.

Yeah, interference with seeding. You could try Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent FORCED encryption and dis-allow legacy connections :(

Other than that you could try out the new beta 1.8 self-contained to see if that works around whatever limits you're currently on.

That's kinda odd though I can up/down fine but like I said I'm shaped to 2Mbit down, perhaps you're on another segment which is the "kill seeding" segment which does not shape downloads. Are you in a major metropolitan area?

Yeah, interference with seeding. You could try Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent FORCED encryption and dis-allow legacy connections

Other than that you could try out the new beta 1.8 self-contained to see if that works around whatever limits you're currently on.

That's kinda odd though I can up/down fine but like I said I'm shaped to 2Mbit down, perhaps you're on another segment which is the "kill seeding" segment which does not shape downloads. Are you in a major metropolitan area?

I'll have to check when I get back home whether or not the encryption is on Forced, but I know that at one point I had it set to forced and disallowed legacy connections.

I guess I will try the Beta to see if that helps any.

As for where I live, yes it is definitely a metropolitan area.

Archived