4# Reasons to go back to BitComet and 2# reasons not to

akaidiot

@BlackLion: lol that's exactly what I was thinking when I read Switeck's post =P (I wish I were as creative xD)

@boo: I wasn't saying you specifically, but just the seemingly general feeling toward akaidiot. This topic won't turn into a flamewar if people don't flame him, and chill instead. While I disagree with akaidiot, I'm not completely throwing out the fact that BitComet has certain things that µTorrent doesn't. Whether they're good enough reasons to go back to that client is your own decision, but you can't exactly flame him for voicing his opinion (not even a troll, since he provided reasons for his opinion).

Switeck, I must admit, that was a well put metafor. And porhaps, you are right. If BC is that bully-ish, I don't support it.

My dream client would be BitComet's and uTorrent's lovechild. With the tinyness of uTorrent, and with the features of BitComet.

So I'm kind of at both sides of the fence but right now I'm leaning over to the BitComet side solely because of the reasons I've expressed here in this thread.

the private tracker situation is difficult for some. I knwo a lot of people in Canada that have Rogers as their ISP, their only option right now is BitComet with encryption to get by the throttling. Their encryption apparently works on whatever system Rogers is using. But with the bans, and I've seen everywhere except one tracker, they now are stuck with public trackers only. So some type of encryption in utorrent would be great for them.

So...if Azureus and µTorrent joint-collaborate to make a more open header encryption scheme (using some part of individual torrents as 'seed values' which the ISPs are very unlikely to have but all participants of a torrent would), then maybe BitComet wouldn't even be useful for that.

the hash of the torrent? :)

I have to say, Azureus and µT working together to make a PHE scheme that is open and works is a nice idea, but I doubt that will happen. µT is developed by one person, Azureus is developed by lots, and most of them despise non-FOSS software :P

The difference in this is that the Azureus developers and coders wouldn't mind implementing an open unofficial addendum to the BitTorrent standard. When it is open, the documentation is freely available to all to implement and use. What others decide to do with the program implementing the proposal wouldn't matter much to them, as they have such a large following and userbase. It won't matter to them if the program is closed, open, shareware, or freeware.

Just because µTorrent is closed source doesn't mean its PHE implementation has to be closed source. It can easily be open source, and/or developed in tandem with the Azureus devs, or any other developer. Security through obscurity doesn't work, after all.

So...if Azureus and µTorrent joint-collaborate to make a more open header encryption scheme (using some part of individual torrents as 'seed values' which the ISPs are very unlikely to have but all participants of a torrent would)' date=' then maybe BitComet wouldn't even be useful for that.[/quote']

the hash of the torrent? :)

But you'll need a SSL-connection to retrieve the torrent to make sure your ISP doesn't know the seed value for the encryption.

LOL @ Switeck, just the fact that tracker owners are banning it should be enough, back in the day it was bringing down poorly coded trackers and now it just plain cheats LOL Geez that was sweet :D The Comet wants to win by any means necessary so here we are again...and they havent YET come with a newer (fairer) version??? That the best they could do is backtrack?? The site says their latest version is 0.59?? okay.............the next version will be what, 0.58?? :D Cant be 0.60 again.....or can it??? I can hardly wait :D and whoever coined that BitVomit is genius :D

Reasons BitComet sucks, which I didn't know

>> 1. BitComet has the File properties prompt which gives a quick overview of the torrent and quick possibility to skip unneccessary files that I don't want to download. Also, I often want to download a file(s) in a torrent directly to my download folder although the torrent was created with the file in a sub-directory. The File properties prompt allows me to grab only the file(s) I want in the sub-dir and download it directly to my dl folder. This is a feature I haven't seen in any other torrent client yet.

<< You can selectivly download with uTorrent too...

>> 2. BC renames unfinished files. Since I download torrents into several different folders depending on what the torrent contains the "move completed torrents to a folder"-method doesn't work for me. If the unfinished files are renamed I can quickly see which files are finished and which are not.

<< Although this feature is stupid and not necessary, uTorrent can also do this now...

>> 3. BC sorts torrents chronologicly. Again, it gives overview

<< You can do that in uTorrent too...

4. BC window actually activates when a new torrent is added.

<< So does uTorrent...

Archived