Utorrent killing bandwith

mrlego9

when ever i am using utorrent,internet browsing slows down to about 10%, 20 seconds for google to pop up, GOOGLE. though, i have reached 1.1 mb/s while downloading a torrent using a private tracker. but upload speeds have nv gone beyond 45 kb/s, here are my speed specs w/o utorrent running

speeddo3.th.jpg

im running Vista home premium with an AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile tec. 2.0 ghz, getting internet from a d-link wbr-2310 router.

I used to have an XP laptop with no problems like this wats so ever

Errrr, Comcrap has no service > 1 Mbit upload that I am aware of.

If you go to the speed tab in uT, and scale back to say 5 or 30 second interval, where is your average upload peaking? My guess would be no higher than 90 KiBps. I presume your setting the Speed Guide to reflect this inflated or "speedboost" upload @ xx/2Mbit is what is causing your headache.

Try reducing it to xx/512 temporarily to see if that resolves the problem. Additionally since you're using a WBR, it's possible DHT is causing you strife. Turn it off to see if you get immediate relief.

That is what xx/512 means. Look at the "Upload Limit" imposed in the Speed Guide.

If you think you can sustain higher speeds, a good procedure to follow is to 1) keep a torrent running which you have ample peers to upload to at your maximum set limit. 2) get a torrent from http://www.slackware.com/torrents/

While uploading, start downloading slackware. Increment your upload 10% at a time until your download starts to suffer. This is the tipping point for your line. At this point you are hitting your upload cap on your line and additional tries to increase the upload only result in lost/missed/retransmitted packets. This means internet lag for others on your LAN and decreased download speeds. After you find the OVERKILL point feel free to back it off 1 or 2 KiB to see if you're still stable uploading at that level and that your downloads are unimpeded.

... If you're being shaped that's a different story altogether from your initial presentation.

Shaping can be attempted to be worked around by Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent -> Enable / FORCED encryption and dis-allow legacy connections. The next step up from that is to try uT 1.8 beta from the announcements forum. It includes workarounds for shaping profiles which are reported to work on SOME not ALL ISPs.

Does that mean you tried forcing encryption and disallowing legacy connections?

Does it also mean you tried 1.8 and found it sustained your higher bandwidth?

It may be possible to sneak below the automated shaping profile by reducing your load. I.e. no more than 20 peers per torrent... possibly less. Run 2 or 3 torrents maximum. . . it's all about trial-and-error

1.8 is in beta because it is not ready for release yet. It will be stable when it is done.

You need to use the xx/384k setting in uTorrent's Speed Guide (CTRL+G).

You can probably do a little better if after use select and accept the xx/384k setting if you...

reduce max per-torrent and global connections to 100 total,

increase upload speed possibly to 40 KB/sec -- at least while not downloading.

Archived