true x64 support

adrianl

pls edit FAQ, add "badly" at the end.

What are µTorrent's system requirements?

...It is reported to work on 64-bit Windows, too.

Not at least on my XP x64.

i find uT 1.3 unusable

-up/down buttons not working (i get it now)

-mutiple windows and they work independently

-i dont wanna pick on it more.

I see you read the FAQ, but you missed this:

Why do the up/down buttons not move the torrent?

The up/down buttons only change the queue order for torrents that are downloading. They do not actually move the torrents up and down in the list.

Multiple windows seems strange though. Do you mean that µTorrent opens in more than one instance when you load a torrentfile?

That's what I thought.

About a true x64 version - won't happen. That requires two versions of the program since pure x64 code won't run on regular Windows (but 32-bit works on x64). Not to mention that I don't think ludde has ever coded for x64, let alone got enough experience to rewrite µT for it, and I don't think he has an x64 PC either. :)

A single image can hold a 32-bit and 64-bit executable: If the ia32 stub detects x64 it extracts the proper one to memory and runs it instead. (Sysinternals site has the details.) And recoding usually isn't terribly difficult, it's just a chore, but once done the same codebase works both ways. That said, unless ludde upgrades or really wants it I doubt we'll see one in the near future.

Uhmm i dont know in which utorrent is programmed? Visual Basic? If so, you can easily compile the 32bit code for the x64 platform. Maybe its also possible with C++

I did it with apache, and its running like a baby on my 64 bit server

See here for a pdf manual released by amd.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/30887.pdf

It probably would make a difference, however I doubt that it would be significant or even noticeable.

Ludde is a coder for a popular virtual machine software, so I'd give him a little bit more credit than that... :P

Wow, I'm impressed. :) Well, maybe we should wait for his word on it then. But it still seems unlikely to me, especially considering the pointlessness of it. :P

Archived