HELP...I got Hi speed, yet still get s-l-o-w dialup download speeds!

masterdancer

I had problems with slow download speeds using Utorrent when I was on dialup. I since got a new laptop (new install of utorrent) and hi speed internet (350Kbps to 800Kbps) but I get the same download speeds!!! This is making me not to want to download torrents anymore as I am totally frustrated and dont have the time to wait days to download just one 700MB torrrent!!!! HELP HELP HELP, what do I do? why are my speeds still slow?

an image of the current torrents added, along with the status of one of the downloads: showing speeds, etc, settings, etc. How do i get faster speeds???

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/8477/ask me for the rest of this

When you set your upload limit that low you are "Download Limited" as you see in the status bar at the bottom. That means you will not get > 6x the upload speed as download. Check the http://utorrent.com/faq.php

Additionally it's not a very good idea to advertise you're downloading copyrighted works.

To verify your download speeds can achieve 1Mbit you should try http://www.slackware.com/torrents/ If you don't set an upload limit what's the sustained download speed for that? (You only need to run it for 1-3 minutes to see)

i'll letcha know the answer to your question after i fugure our how to download that program as it's obviously some non standard type installaion.

In the meantime, i wasn't trying to advertise, it was done in ignorance. I removed any questionable references I think? anything else that was not posted properly? I'm new to this.

thank you

I have the same problem. I should be downloading at a speed of 700 and im only downloading at 40 and the torrents do have thousands of seeds, but still slow. Sometimes, very rarely, it goes up to 300 for a few seconds, then down to 40 again! :( Ive changed my modem firmware to the one you indicate, and ive gone through the setup guide and still it only downloads whenever the modem feels like it! It is just so frustrating!!

You're not uploading very fast...but in your picture you're always downloading faster than you're uploading.

I thought you said you were getting dial-up speeds?!

Exactly what settings are you using?

What settings are your brother using?

What's the speed of your connection, both down and up?

My max upload speed is 30kb/s approx, and my download speed is 6mb. I'm using the optimized settings from one of the links i've seen here. Also I tried the TCPIP VISTA patch but when I restart it sets it back to the original one. I think it has something to do with original drivers something! and i have no idea how to turn it off!

Archived