Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ladyland

Have a really slow download but there are hundreds of seeders.

Have a strange thing. Have a torrent to download with around 300 seeders but only between 1 and 6 are being used at the same time and it's being indicated it will take four days till it's downloaded. Is there any way to get it quicker? Perhaps some way of using more of the seeders? Couldn't find anything in the help sections on this.

What are your per-torrent connection settings in the Speed Guide (Ctrl-G)? Just because a tracker reports X number of seeders doesn't mean they are all connectable. Additionally if you're not forwarded (green checkmark network status icon) you will only connect to those peers which are forwarded themselves.

That's frustrating isn't it? You'd think you will get blazing download speeds with that many seeders. I notice this is a problem usually with open/public trackers. On private trackers, that many seeders mean I get super fast download speeds. I think too many peers spread themselves out way too thin and upload too slow to other peers.

On public torrents, lots of people hit-and-run. They get reported as seeders to the tracker...and the tracker (and other peers/seeds!) continues to give out their ips for potentially hours after they've left.

Also, if they've reached their global or per-torrent max connection limit, then they won't connect to you. This is often the case on large torrents with 100's of peers+seeds -- the seeds have been around for awhile and seen nearly everyone, so a new arrival is unlikely to find a seed that isn't already at max connections.

The double paradox is for private torrents (which don't allow DHT or Peer Exchange) that seeds often CAN'T find new peers to upload to because they can only get new peer ips from the tracker...which they're only allowed to connect to once every half-hour or more. If the seed is firewalled, the peer cannot be. And if the peer is firewalled, then the peer must connect to the seed (which means the seed CANNOT be firewalled)...or they'll never connect.

Connection (per torrent): 999

Network mark indicates ok (also ran a test which indicates ok)

It's indeed a little frustrating to see so many seeds and have just a few percent of them available to you. Now I still have to wait for three days on a torrent. Anyway it is worth it. The explaination here given does make me understand why it all is. However if there are any tips on getting better results don't be shy to share them with me. :)