Tracker Status offline (timed out)

Jackpine

Today for some reason, the status icons on my three active torrents on utorrent (two seeding, one leeching) showed up and down arrows against a red background. Also, under Tracker Status, it says "offline (timed out)." However, the torrents continue to upload or download as the case may be. My network connection is OK: checkmark inside a green circle. I also checked and confirmed that the port is forwarded properly.

When I turn the torrents off and then on, the colour shows correctly for a few seconds (green or blue), then changes to red.

What is happening? Is there anything that I need to do to fix this?

Thanks.

Well, funny thing. This afternoon everything went back to normal. Able to seed and leech with green and blue arrow icons showing. I didn't make changes to any settings. All's well that end's well. I guess it was just a transiet. Hopefully whatever caused it is now gone.

Some ISPs and support people get panicky when you get on the phone and say that the frequent local outages are affecting their business. In the days before the web, people still used faxes, and if you had your internet over copper (DSL) and the 'net went down regularly people didn't get their faxes. I'm sure the same case can be said these days because you don't even need a fax machine to get faxes. :/

But you're not getting any internet outages are you, just tracker communication being blocked? It would be a good idea to try and keep track of when this happens over the day/week... does it happen at the same time every day??

This has only happened once, two days ago for about a 24 hour period. During that time, my internet performance slowed considerably, i.e., unusually long time surfing the web and logging on to websites. Email usage did not seem to be affected.

Thanks for the info. I will monitor

Yep, I use Sympatico (Bell Canada). They already throttle me everyday like clockwork to 30 kB/s upload and 30 kB/s download from 4:30pm to 1:30am. Outside of those hours I can download up to 250 kB/s and upload at 65 kB/s.

You know, when you think about how much traffic there is on the internet, it is the infrastructure that is lacking to handle it all. I mean, virtually every business in the world has their own website that people use for viewing products/product information/ordering, etc. Not to mention doing banking, booking concerts and related events, ordering airline tickets, checking sports scores and the weather, Face Book, You Tube, and so on and so on. The easy target is file sharing. Well, one day the whole system will grind to a halt and then "the pipes" will be enlarged.

Interesting thoughts on the subject... you can find more by search for "really large prefix"-byte + Flood in your favourite search engine

These are the most recent 3 I found

http://www.fiercevoip.com/story/zettabyte-flood-predicted-2015/2008-01-31

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/01/23/is-comcast-really-bl.html

http://riskman.typepad.com/peerflow/2007/12/exabyte-flood-a.html

Archived