Cannot move downloaded files

downtimer

Hello Everybody!

I've instructed uTorrent to move files to some other directory once they are loaded. Everything was fine for a while, but last time uTorrent completed downloading a huge torrent it reported an error when moving files to the target directory.

Some files were moved but not all of them. Then I checked the file on which moving stopped and it turned out that the file is very strange. Windows Explorer is not able to move it, neither to copy it, neither to rename.

When I right-click on this file, the context menu is unusual, it consists of very short list of items in contrast to what should be there when normal file is clicked. There are only 3 standard items: "Open", "Open with" and "Send To". Neither "Copy", nor "Cut".

Moreover, when I try to open the file with some program, e.g. hex editor, it is unable to handle it, states something like "File not found" depending on the program.

And there are several such strange files, not just one. I have never seen anything like this. What's wrong?

System: Windows 2003 Server R2 Enterprise Edition SP2

uTorrent 1.7.7

Thank you.

The system is English. Additionally I have installed Ukrainian language because it is my native.

The files are *.flac, Explorer states "Winamp media file" equally for good and bad files.

I have discovered that some file names contain letters with umlauts (files are music tracks by German/Austrian composers), so I added German language and reboot. It didn't help.

Not sure it is important, just FYI, not all bad files contain umlauts

Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

Just tried to copy files to temporary folder via command line. Please take a look at what "copy" have said:

D:\Entertainment\Music\Great Pianists of the 20th Century\Great Pianists of the 20th Century - Vols 1 - 10 (20 CDs, FLAC)\Vol 002 - Martha Angerich I\CD1>copy *.flac temp

(01) [Liszt] Piano Concerto No. 1 in Eb, S.124 1. Allegro maestoso (London Symphony Orchestra, Claudio.flac

The system cannot find the path specified.

(02) [Liszt] Piano Concerto No. 1 in Eb, S.124 2a. Quasi adagio (London Symphony Orchestra, Claudio Ab.flac

(03) [Liszt] Piano Concerto No. 1 in Eb, S.124 2b. Allegretto vivace - Allegro animato (London Symphon.flac

(04) [Liszt] Piano Concerto No. 1 in Eb, S.124 3. Allegro marziale animato (London Symphony Orchestra,.flac

(05) [Ravel] Piano Concerto in G 1. Allagramente (Berliner Philharmoniker, Claudio Abbado).flac

(06) [Ravel] Piano Concerto in G 2. Adagio assai (Berliner Philharmoniker, Claudio Abbado).flac

(07) [Ravel] Piano Concerto in G 3. Presto (Berliner Philharmoniker, Claudio Abbado).flac

(08) [Rachmaninoff] Piano Concerto No. 3 in d, Op. 30 1. Allegro ma non tanto (RSO Berlin, Riccardo.flac

The file name is too long.

3 file(s) copied.

Files 01-04 are "bad" and copy didn't find them. Files 05-07 were copied just fine. File 08 has very long name and that's why copy stopped on it, but the file itself is good and could be played via winamp very well.

I am not sure how the file on NTFS volume could be corrupted without any attention from the system. Windows doesn't report any bad sectors on the hard drive. HDD is new, I bought it a couple of month ago.

Incredible, but if I replace copy command with xcopy, it states "Insufficient memory" and copies nothing.

There are 2 GB of RAM on my system.

I see the problem... I think?? Its ~260 characters.

I'm not sure if Windows will barf when trying to rename one of those folders... but try it first.

Then try a more direct approach moving the folder to closer to the root.

After that... You may need to fire up another client to move the data from your current location to the new location closer to the root :(

Archived