Trouble with transparency in photoshop cs.

boo

I have big problems to get transperancy to work on my knew toolbar.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I created it in Photoshop CS and used PS CS to save it to .bmp.

When you save the .bmp, you see different check boxes that you can check,

like alpha channel for example, but I can't choose it because its grayed out :(

I've never used a 32 bit bitmap b4 but, in PS, you have to create an alpha channel for your transparency and then save as a bitmap... at which point you'll be able to check the alpha... erm... check box.

and how do you use a alpha channel?

Because simply creating a alpha channel in 'Channels' doesn't work,

there are still purple edges when I save it to .bmp :(

You have to create the transparency on the alpha channel you create. Ermm... seeing as I know nothing about toolbars, the best I can recommend is to read the PS manual and play with it all.

Sorry I can't be of more help. If I get time tomorrow, I'll look into it.

I'm beginning to understand how the alpha channel works,

but I still do not know a practical way to use it,

right now, the best way I know how to use it,

is by using the airbrush, white color and remove alpha channel of what I want to be visible.

Keep on playin' :)

Basically, you can make a selection, from a graphic on a layer (as I'd imagine you need to do) or by one of the selection tools and make that transparent in the alpha channel. Be sure to play with the opacity of the brush (air or otherwise)/fill/pattern/whatever you are using.

As you're well aware, the best way to learn something is by trial and error. Sorry there isn't a quick fix (from me).

determination, using AlphaConv seems to be the same thing as saving the .psd to a .bmp in photoshop, there are still purple edges around the icons.

Should you do something with the alpha channel before you convert it?

And does it matter what layer you have selected when editing the alpha channel?

purple edges? When you make your design, just have the design over a non-existant background. You know that checkered background you get when you don't have one showing? Save it like that in PNG. Photoshop will save the transparency of each pixel in the PNG, and when you use AlphaConv, it carries that over to the BMP.

PNG transparency and GIF transparency are 2 completely different things. GIF uses a color replacement type: it removes a specific color from being displayed. PNG uses another format that stores the transparency value of each pixel. If the pixel is completely opaque, it's 255, if the pixel is semi-transparent, it's some value between 0 and 255, and so on... Wiki on it here. I think of it as another value assigned to a pixel like RGB color values (5 Red, 5 Green, 5 Blue, 15 Transparency).

Archived