Data landing in a Torrent Name; Crash related?

ForceDestroyer

I have two errors that might be related. (Currently using µTorrent 1.7.7)

1: µTorrent crashes frequently. I'm observing this for many versions and months now. I can't see any relations to other programs or activity on the computer really.

2: I just came back to my PC, and found a Torrent Name (Yes, I'm talking about what is displayed under "Name" in the main Window) replaced by what first looks like a Chinese text. It actually is the Unicode representation of a text.

Torrent Name is something like this:

㸢਍猼䈺摯㹹਍甼䄺摤潐瑲慍灰湩⁧浸湬㩳㵵產湲猺档浥獡甭湰⵰牯㩧敳癲捩㩥䅗䥎䍐湯敮瑣潩㩮∱ാ㰊敎剷浥瑯䡥獯㹴⼼敎剷浥瑯䡥獯㹴丼睥硅整湲污潐瑲㘾㌱㜳⼼敎䕷瑸牥慮偬牯㹴丼睥牐瑯捯汯吾偃⼼敎偷潲潴潣㹬丼睥湉整湲污潐瑲㘾㌱㜳⼼敎䥷瑮牥慮偬牯㹴丼睥湉整湲污汃敩瑮ㄾ㈹ㄮ㠶〮ㄮ㰶丯睥湉整湲污汃敩瑮㰾敎䕷慮汢摥ㄾ⼼敎䕷慮汢摥㰾敎偷牯䵴灡楰杮敄捳楲瑰潩㹮瑵牯敲瑮⼼敎偷牯䵴灡楰杮敄捳楲瑰潩㹮丼睥敌獡䑥牵瑡潩㹮㰰丯睥敌獡䑥牵瑡潩㹮⼼㩵摁偤牯䵴灡楰杮ാ㰊猯䈺摯㹹਍⼼㩳湅敶潬数ാช>

Here's as much as I could get out of it, excuse possible inaccuracies:

(WTF is the Forum doing to the longest line? It's cut off in the final forum post! Adding returns manually, originally, everything between the line of '<u:AddPortMapping' and '</s:Body>' was a single line without spaces or returns.)

">

<s:Body>

<u:AddPortMapping xmlns:u="urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANIPConnection:1">

<NewRemoteHost></NewRemoteHost><NewExternalPort>61337</NewExternalPort>

<NewProtocol>TCP</NewProtocol><NewInternalPort>61337</NewInternalPort>

<NewInternalClient>192.168.0.16</NewInternalClient><NewEnabled>1</NewEnabled>

<NewPortMappingDescription>utorrent</NewPortMappingDescription>

<NewLeaseDuration>0</NewLeaseDuration></u:AddPortMapping>

</s:Body>

</s:Envelope>

>

To me, this looks like something for UPnP port mapping. I will now turn UPnP off, using manual port setup. Maybe then the crashes will stop, as the UPnP functions aren't called to spam their trash into random places in the program's memory. ;)

I don't know how many versions of µTorrent have been repeatedly crashing on me. I hope this is of help to find the source of the problem and finally get rid of it.

During your investigation did you search through HiJackThis log make sure nothing from the http://utorrent.com/faq.php#Incompatible_software list was in it and make sure nothing extra was hooking into the uTorrent.exe process via a Process Explorer DLL logfile?

A UPnP message would most certainly not be in a torrent's caption field without some mucking going on about, so if you could provide a current logfile for both those programs... :D

Procedures can be found near the foot of Ultima's How-To for Troubleshooting

This error is most likely impossible to reproduce. The crashing is just as sporadic, but getting the wrong memory location to hit the Torrent Name by chance was pure luck.

Usually, ProcessExplorer doesn't show anything hooking µTorrent, and I don't know how to make it wait for a program to do so and then log it. Actually, I doubt this was the cause. Sure, there are lots of programs running on this machine, but none of them should affect the others. I checked the Incompatible Software list, none of this stuff is or was installed here (Apart from AVG, which I've set to stay idle unless I manually use it). Honestly, I wouldn't even consider posting here if I'd know crap that might disturb other programs was running. :P

I don't know when exactly the error occurred, only a timespan of about 5-6 hours. I don't have any more time now, but if you insist, I'll get HiJackThis tomorrow and show you what kind of stuff is usually running on this PC.

But then again, what should cause such an internal screwup in µTorrent, if not the program itself? This looks like the UPnP message is placed to a wrong memory location. The program would have to edit a pointer/address within µTorrent. If I had such malicious software running, I'd hopefully notice elsewhere.

Archived