Max upload speed to peer per torrent?

hermanm

Can uTorrent distribute upload speed evenly to each peer in a torrent? The situation would be that I would be creating a new torrent with one seeder only (me) and want to get it spread out as quickly as possible. I read keep 4kB/s is the optimum upload rate?

4kB/s up to 20 peers is better than 20kB/s to 4 peers?

No. Not all peers are able to request pieces at the same rate as others, so their bandwidth doesn't distribute evenly.

20kbyte/sec to 4 peers means that each of those 4 peers is getting a complete request block in less than a second, completing pieces in as little as 1.5s.

4kbyte/sec to 20 peers means that each of the 20 peers is getting a complete request block every 4 seconds, taking at least 8 seconds to complete a piece.

4kbyte/sec per peer is the MINIMUM upload rate to be efficient.

If your piece size is 512 KB, then at 4 KB/sec that's just over 2 minutes before each peer you're uploading to has anything NEW to share. But at 20 KB/sec, they have something new to share in <30 seconds.

If your piece size is 2 MB, then multiply the above times by 4.

The sooner you can shift the burden of seeding off your seed...the better. Force the peers to "fight among themselves" to get pieces you've already uploaded once. And that is best done with 20 KB/sec to 4 peers rather than 4 KB/sec to 20 peers.

The best combination is to be uploading to peers about as fast as they're uploading to others. Any faster, and your seed probably ends up having to send the same pieces out multiple times. Any slower, and the peers will run out of new stuff to share between themselves.

So 4 KB/sec is too slow and 20 KB/sec is probably too fast. Try more like 10 KB/sec to 8 peers. Or ~13.3 KB/sec to 6 peers.

> So 4 KB/sec is too slow and 20 KB/sec is probably too fast.

How do I know if a upload speed to each peer is too slow or too fast?

> The best combination is to be uploading to peers about as fast as they're uploading to others.

How would I know how fast another peer is uploading? I see the Peer DL column, but don't see a Peer UL column. Am I missing something here?

Nothing missing. You asked for criticism and got it :)

Like DWKnight said the minimum average upload per peer (upload / (slots*torrents)) should be 3-4... sometimes you get lucky as a downloader and upload 6-10 KiBps to a peer and get back mountains in return, but for a seed... faster is better. Think about it this way.... You have a pipe right. The pipe has water flowing through it. Imagine you subdivide the pipe. The more you break it into smaller pieces, the longer it takes the same volume of water to pass through each piece :D

Added to the infeasibility in general of expecting one peer on a swarm pulling that much data from you (and then uploading it back to the swarm)...

Where "timely" is concerned, that's the reason the default "peer disconnect inactive" interval is 5 minutes... if no activity occurs within 5 minutes (meaning 1 16KiB block) the peer is dead to you for now. Like Switeck said regarding time-to-finished-pieces you have to make a guess. Alot of people could use as a default metric the "standard" asymmetric cable internet connection with .5Mbit upload capacity. That means for a properly configured client you'll be connected to peers with 47 KiBps upload (or up to 52-55 tweaked) split 12 ways. If you put out twice that or 8 KiBps you'll always keep other peers downloading from you and uploading to others. Putting out @ 20 is 5x that value and as would likely result in the situation Switeck mentioned uploading the same piece multiple times because the other peer isn't uploading that fast to spread the piece before it gets another piece from you.

For a swarm with say 10 peers you will theoretically get 10 additional seeds with 1 distributed copy if they all start at the same time. But since many times peers do not share equally this is where Initial Seeding comes in handy. If you look at the Peers tab you will notice the peer who shares most often. Additionally enabling the "Inactive" column will tell you how long since a piece or any activity was to each connected peer.

Archived