Is it possible to download at more than 10kb/s with dial-up?

zijin_cheng

Hi, I have a 56k dialup modem, and most torrents are 1gb or more and this would take me more than a week to download. Is there a way to make my speed more than 10kb/s or will it always stay around 5kb/s?

There was 1 torrent which was moderately well seeded, 500seeders, 300 leechers and I was getting 20kb/s. There was another one that had 70000 seeders and 5000 leechers and I was only getting about 5kb/s

Any suggestions on why the high speed on 1 and slow on the other?

Peer numbers really don't mean much... I too am amazed you got any higher than 8 KiBps. It may be possible your ISP has some sort of "boost" technology... aka "line compression" similar to what's on some cable internet lines. You get speeds depending on the peers' desire to upload to you. To get better efficiency and closer to your maximum theoretical speed regularly, you can reduce your peer connections even lower than the speed guide preferences, but you really don't want to lower it much farther than 12 total and 10 per torrent... that wouldn't allow much for peer variance when trying to download.

Are you noticing consistent uploads? or does it seem to vary based upon how much you download.

Archived