Accepting Failed Hashes

discodoc

How can I accept a block that has failed a hash check?

Lets say the original file could have been changed in a non-critical location and there is no way to get the original file. So I would like to accept that failed-hash block.

Is there a possibility to force uTorrent to do this?

Many thanks.

Well, IF that's the only file available, than breaking the protocol is better than loosing the whole file.

A situation I am facing now: the block spans 2 files. It is likely that one file has changed (the seed inadvertently changed the file). But the other file would be OK. If I can't get the block, this file (the true one) will be lost as well.

Also, music and video will probably tolerate a bad hash anyway. As far as it is not a malformed block (and not everything is malformed), I would take the risk to download it. It is my decision, so there won't be anyone else to blame if the bad block completely screws my computer up. ;-)

I do not mind if uTorrent implements later on a more sophisticated mechanism when downloading such blocks: e.g. mark them as bad and do not seed them (or seed them only if the peer specifically requested such a block - e.g. when there is no alternative available).

Which protocol are you referring to?

I tried to search on: http://bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0000.html without any success. Maybe I missed something and would welcome any help.

As a side note: I as an end-user can accept what I want. If it is a malformed hash, then let it be.

If I'll be seeding it and somebody downloads it, then I get banned. If nobody else downloads it, then why care. If somebody wants to seed a malformed block, there are a dozen other programs to do it anyway.

Why limiting a truly useful feature.

uTorrent follows the bittorrent protocol. Bittorrent transfers are byte-for-byte identical. If you want the full file to verify, get a torrent with only that file you want. Alternatively tell the seeder to not use programs which (silently) change files to avoid this in the future. Bittorrent doesn't care about files, it makes pieces of data chunked at the appropriate interval and hashes them. When the data does not come across as matching the hash it is discarded. This is not going to change.

Archived