Peer connections when seeding

AeikAK

I see the following issue with uTorrent: When I download a torrent, I'm connected to enought peers. When the download is finished, more and more peers are dropped. Most of the time, around 15-20 peers are still leeching the torrent, but uTorrent is only connecting to 1-2 of them and not Uploading with full bandwith.

My opinion is, that uTorrent should connect to peers more aggressive, when the downloading is finished.

Anybody else saw the same?

Are you firewalled in µTorrent?

Even if you aren't, are you using UPnP to prevent being firewalled?

If you're firewalled, getting new peers or rather reconnecting to old peers is far more difficult and happens less often.

Many people on a torrent are firewalled -- possibly even as high as 80%, definitely at least 30%. If the list of ips the tracker provides are all firewalled, you may not be able to connect to them even if you're not firewalled.

Firewalled peers have to make connections TO you, which they may not do often or even at all.

I've seen similar problems myself when trying to seed, but it wasn't as severe. It usually takes over 5 minutes before a seed gets more than 5-9 peers even on torrents that have >100 total peers connected to it.

I'm thinking it's because µTorrent uses a slow tracker announce rate and the tracker isn't handing out very many peer+seed ips per connect...plus, the tracker may be "stupid" and handing out unconnectable ips and seeds...of which you can use neither if you're seeding yourself!

Archived