I've uploaded an Item 3x as much as I've downloaded

Southwind

OK, now I know I'm dumber than a bag of hammers, but I don't understand WTF is going on at all here. I've just downloaded utorrent, never used it before, just wanted one file. It's not even downloading the file anymore, I only got 54MB of it, but I'm uploading too, and have currently uploaded nearly 100MB - so what am I uploading? I can't see a monitor screen to know this. What are peers and seeds and leeches? They're not on the FAQ. Why has it stopped downloading if I'm uploading? I need someone to put it into plain English for me, not a link to some technical bumph. Please?

Here's a beginners guide, I think it's supposed to be simple, so give it a read. Also, if there are no seeds (person with the whole file) then you wont be able to download it till a seed comes online, since peers only have pieces of the file. If the guide doesn't help, feel free to ask for more help (try to poke around the guides and FAQ section first though).

Right, so even though I've uploaded 100MB, this is a collective amount, say 10MB of the 54MB I've downloaded to 10 peers?

Also is that why I've stopped downloading? Because the existing peers only have 54MB of the file?

I'm getting there I think...

Cheers by the way :)

I can't see the torrent, but yeah peers normally only have parts of the file, and if you go to the peers tab I think you can check how much percent people are at, it only works on those your connected to though. And the uploaded column shows how much you uploaded total, it includes data uploaded multiple times. Depending on the site maybe you can ask someone to seed it if there are no seeds.

Archived