Possible bug with 1.8 b 9363: unable to connect after ~1 hour

TimeHorse

The way I have seen this bug is as follows: I start up 1.8 and it has 3 RSS feeds and I have some torrents with like 1 to 3 trackers associated. What I am seeing is that slowly, each connection times out and dies. For instance, first one of the RSS feeds may fail to refresh. Then, a Tracker will time out. This all happens within an hour or so of startup, so it's fairly easy to reproduce. The problem with these timeouts is that uTorrent is not able to recover. Once the connection fails once, it never tries again AFAICT. There are no crashes but this does require frequent restarts.

I have disabled UPNP because of my Router not supporting it properly. And I run 1.8 in /RECOVER mode so I have 1.8 b 9363 and 1.7.7 running simultaneously. If this is a known issue, sorry to repeat it. If not, I will be happy to provide more details as necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using the suggested setting for a few days had have not seen the problem continue, so I think we have a solution, though I wonder if the software could be made "smart" and realize it has connections hanging and kill them and then prompt the user to make these changes for hir; like "Your connections seem to be hanging; would you like to reduce your connection overhead?" Then an "Advanced" button, which adds: "This will set your Half-Opened value to 4, disable your Resolve IPs flag and set your maximum global connections to 25 per torrent and 50 globally". Obviously, I don't want to create extra work, but it might be a nice suggestion to have such a smart wizard.

It's my hope people will be given some sort of additional help with the Speed Guide so that it is setup right the first time (not your problem) and possibly auto-suggest values to you if "my line is on the azureuswiki bad isps list" and "speedboost is detected for your downloading" when running a speedtest.... :P

Glad to hear your stable again :D

Archived