Can't get my torrent to seed

armyofquad

I've been able to successfully use utorrent to download and share torrents. When I download, it automatically uploads, as it should. So, I used it to create a torrent myself, and gave friends the file to grab the torrent from me. It will not upload to them, at all. And they all have been able to get torrents successfully as well. I've tried using another computer in my place to download it from one computer to the other, and it does that without a problem, but will not upload from either computer, and all my friends report they have it in their list, but it won't download to them. What could this be, what do I do to troubleshoot this and find what is causing my torrent to not work outside my place?

Are you seeing the tracker return your friends as peers in the announce? In the peers tab if you right click copy peerlist, does it include their IP:PORT numbers? Is your torrent marked as seeding or queued seed?

Repeat questions about showing a seed for your friends? Do they see you? If they do the equivalent in their clients (if they don't use uT) do they see your correct IP:PORT as a seed to connect to?

What about manually adding their IP:PORT?

On the computer I started this on, under peers it says 0(0). On the laptop that I successfully downloaded it to, it says 0(2). It is marked as initial-seeding on my first computer, and seeding on the laptop.

It's hard to ask the same questions to my friends, they're just online friends that don't have the time to troubleshoot with me on this, but being that none of them can get it, I think it's on my end and not theirs. I might be able to get a friend to troubleshoot with me eventually, but I don't know where to start.

I don't know where there's a peer tab that I can right click and copy peer list from, I've not been able to find that anywhere, so I don't know what you're talking about unfortunately. Making torrents is a new thing to me, this is my first attempt.

I understand that limitation. When you created the torrent did you add a well known tracker for it? Are you also running DHT?

While you were downloading the file, I presume the seeder showed 1 peer connected yes? Do you recall or can you test which IP shows up as the connected peer... you may have a problem with the port not being forwarded, Do you see the green network status checkmark? http://utorrent.com/faq.php#What_do_the_Network_Status_lights_mean.3F

Does the icon show green when you're downloading torrents?

If you have a direct way to contact the friends, the easiest way to find out that information would be to use the internal uT port checked from the Speed Guide. When you are presented at the page http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=YOURPORTNUMBER it shows the internet IP for their connection and the port number they are running on. In the uT window there's the main torrent pane (top) and the Details pane (F5)... shows up at the bottom of the main GUI. In there there's 6 tabs, General Peers Pieces Files Speed Logger... it's in that Peers tab I'm talking about right clicking to bring up the context menu. At the top there is the "add peer" where you'd put in their IP:PORT to manually add them to your cache.

Ok, I figured out that when I cut and pasted a list of trackers from a help document on making a torrent, I didn't add spaces between them. Now, my friend is able to get .1 percent at a time, with long pauses of no connection between each .1 percent. I think when the torrent was made, it split it up into too many small pieces. But all torrents are made up of pieces so that they work easier as they spread out. How are you supposed to start it this way though if this is how a torrent starts from once person offering it? This is going to take forever for any of my friends to get it like this.

I've tried it both ways. I'll turn off initial then if that's what you feel is better, but I've got it set to upload from both computers, and they both act the same way, .1 percent, then drop, then .1 percent, then drop. Hopefully it'll spread and get better as more people grab it.

If both of your computers are on the same internet you're not giving any more benefit to the peers. Only seed from one of them. Also unless you're connecting to multiple peers initial seed will be slower by default and is not recommended. While not running initial seed it should continue to upload consistently... unless your upload is already maxed out. If this is the only torrent running does it still upload sporadically? The only idea I have for the stoppage is if the "O" optimistic unchoke is active, but with so few peers it should still find a peer it will upload to. Are you sure your seeding is not impacted by your ISP>?

Archived