Have lost all my torrent files in Utorrent after crash

smith07

Hello and thanks for trying to help me!

Yesterday my computer have crashed and when I turn it on again Utorrent was empty.

I have lost my 250 torrent files who where in it, mostly seeding files.

I found back these torrent files in Application Data but I dont want to put them back manually because I have 250 files in 25 different folders.

How can I make Utorrent as before ? Is there a backup file ?

Ps: I downlaod my torrents on an external drive.

If you did not check http://utorrent.com/faq.php#Where_are_the_settings_and_.torrent_files_stored.3F within 30 seconds of opening uT after finding it blank, both your resume.dat and resume.dat.old are likely < 1 KiB. In that case you will have to re-add the torrents. I created my tips on backups for this case. Might I recommend some sort of backup regimen, either as an incremental compressed backup or as a full folder backup (some people prefer to copy the folder and datestamp it). Was it a power loss or did you blue screen?

Read the page I linked. It gives some procedure for people who are neatly organized like you. :D

10 files per folder may seem like alot, but with 25 folders you will only have to add 25 "groups" of files instead of 250 individual files. If you have questions about the procedure feel free to ask.

Ok tanks I'll make this tonight.

Thanks dude!

Edit: Just a last question how can I automatise "Ignore the Hash test" ??

-> Is it normal that I have to quit and open back utorrent so that he loads the torrent from the auto load folder ?!

You don't. :/ There needs to be a hash check after a crash / unexpected shutdown so uT doesn't send out bad data.

So you were able to only load in 25 groups instead of adding/setting all 250 torrents? :D

Even though it was simpler than you feared I hope this spurs you onto take more control of your computer and choices to backup data you consider useful if not essential ;) I have had to restore a resume.dat SEVERAL times when it comprised production uT before I got fed up.

:( They didn't recognize the files I guess. If you're sure that they're pointing at the right locations, you can do mass-recheck if you wish. Be advised though the more you do on the disk simultaneously the slower the recheck will be. Simply stop, right click, force recheck when selecting multiple torrents you wish to recheck.

You don't need to exit uT. All you do is change the default folder in preferences and then add more torrents into the auto load folder. The save as path under the General tab is made on-add.

Archived