Someone please help me?

ardi

I was using utorrent for 3 days, I realized that my harddisk was full (80gb all full). I erased some files but I found out that some files are NOT even in the hard disk and utorrent was responsble form that . This may seem complicated, but I'll make it clear by giving an example

75 GB of my hard disk was seemed to be full when I clicked C; properties (the graphic showing the free space in pink and used space in blue). I erased some files and checked again for C, and saw it was freer(?) from the start; lets say 60 GB.

Then I realised (by clicking on the yellow folders seperately in C) that the sum of the bytes I used was only 10 GB!! If I calculated indivually all the files in C; it was only 10 GB at total. But when I checked my hard disk from C (by properties) it said 60 GB was in use! where the hell was the difference? The difference was like vaporized, all gone!! (not hidden folders, I checked them) I made a virus scan but there was nothing to find.

Then I formatted my computer thinking I had a problem. the format finished, and I had a clean and fresh 78 or 77 GB (the rest is used in windows XP and my private folders) I thought the problem was over and downloaded utorrent.

I opened a torrent that was totally 4.9 GB's. when the torrent was downloaded like %1, I accidentally deleted the torrent and the FİLES. I was a little bit suspicious about my pre-system, so I checked for my hard disk to figure out how much space was let. I was astonished when I realized that 13 GB was being used (whereas only 2 ACTUALLY were used by me). I made some tests in utorrent by putting in torrents and deleting them. I found out at last that the problem was utorrent. my system works normal without utorrent but somehow utorrent makes my system fall apart by filling my system with junk that I cannot even find!

The program (utorrent) downloaded much much more things than the torrent, but the worst part is I cannot delete them because I cannot even FİND them. They truly don't exist (or I can't find) , but they are in the system somehow.

Can someone please help me??

Note: I searched the forums about my problem but couldn't find any topics. if there is any other issue about this problem; I apologize.

Are you using an NTFS file system? It sounds like your referring to sparse files, when a file is sparse, it doesn't actually take up all that space, but Windows reports less free space because eventually it will take up all that space.

yes I use NTFS file system

but for your second answer I don't know what sparse file is (maybe I know but not in english:D)

and I DELETE the whole file, even if the file is sparsed(?) won't it will be deleted also?, but it still takes up space in my local disk.

In your example you'll see this clearly, go to the folder and right click-> properties. See the "size on disk"... that's what you've downloaded. Then see the "size", thats the eventual size Windows tells you about. That explains why after downloading alot of files incompletely you may see "running out of space" even though you downloaded. Btw, in uT Ctrl-P -> Advanced -> diskio.sparse_files GTHK is talking about is OFF by default. If you want this feature, turn it ON. Note there is a KNOWN problem with this feature in Vista, so when you turn it on and download larger torrents you may have to press Start if you get an error about element not found.

If it's more confusion than that you'll want to provide the two logfiles asked for at the bottom of How-To for Troubleshooting.

I did some more looking into, and if you enable disk compression it should "fix" your problem, if your using sparse, be aware though that if you use the 1.8 9363 beta it will cause hash failures, this will be fixed in the next beta.

yes, I know the difference between "size on disk" and the "size" written individiaully on the folder options. and I am taking that into consideration also.

I do not use vista, so the change you offer to me will not be any problem. I did look to utorrent about the change you offered, and if I figured out correctly, by turning it on; you make the torrents you download a sparse file. that is not something I want; so I turned it off.

and for the last, didn't understand "If it's more confusion than that you'll want to provide the two logfiles asked for at the bottom of How-To for Troubleshooting." part in your reply. what is a log file (maybe I know but not in english)

@jewel: alus and I figured it out, if a file is sparse+compressed zero byte ranges are collapsed into sparse regions by Windows, saving disk space, however because the smart sparse hash checker skips sparse regions it ends up hashfailing those zero byte ranges, the bug in the smart sparse hash checker has been fixed in my test build.

@ardi: If you have sparse enabled AND disk compression, the size should come out to the right size in the free space count. Only downloaded pieces will take up space.

You're confusing things somewhat :P.

Smart sparse file hashing queries for sparse ranges so that it can skip them, saving time. WHS, a broken environment, incorrectly reports the entire file as being sparse, so the smart sparse hash checker was given an option to disable it.

Later on, I found out that µT kept failing zero byte ranges. alus determined my system was collapsing zero byte ranges into sparse ranges thereby saving disk space, however this caused a bug in µT, the smart checker skipped those collapsed ranges and thus the hash checker considered the pieces missing. alus created a build that fixed handling of this case, and was curious as to whether it was a Windows option. Because we were both curious, I soon figured out it was caused by NTFS compression.

can my problem be form the disk cache? in uT it says (for example) 7MB are written to the FILE and 9 MB are in cache. maybe when I delete the torrents the cache does not disappear?

and @GTHK: I haven't compressed my hard disk, and nor I use sparse files in my downloaded torrents.

At most with compact allocation enabled, the MOST amount of space you can expect something to take up is 2x allocated size of files. That's at most. There was a reported case of something interrupting/interfering with the save process and bleeding hard drive space. I don't recall and can't find it.

Please go to the How-To I mentioned above, search for Process Explorer, and HiJackThis. Create logiles for both programs and copy-paste them into the thread... also some pictures (use mspaint, Alt-PrntScreen, and http://imageshack.us to upload) demonstrating specific examples would help.

Well if you do compress your disk and use sparse files on NTFS, the files will only take up about as much space as you download, that was your original concern right? Compact allocation has problems I think.

Side note @jewelisheaven: I asked alus if the fix had a performance impact, I was worried it slowed the smart checker down a bit.

Yes, the smart checker just uses zeros. It's much faster.

Archived