Torrent freezes router

bustajibb

Hi, first time poster. I have been using uTorrent for a while, not exactly sure how long, maybe a year. I love it, simply the best torrent program.

Here is my problem. I used to use cable internet connect, with no problems what so ever. I have recently moved, and now I am on a DSL connect with a static IP. Everytime I use uTorrent at this new connection about 20-40 mins into dowloading the router will completely stop all bandwidth to all computers on the router. uTorrent will keep running, but the connection is noticibly slowing down until it reaches a download speed of about 1kbs/sec and remains like this. The only way to fix the problem is to unplug the router for about 10 mins. I have used torrent programs, other than uTorrent, on this same connection in the past with no problem.

I would love to keep using uTorrent and would like to have some help on correcting the problem. Thank you in advanced.

What is your network setup? DSL > Router > Computers? Normally when a router stops functioning after a while like this it's because they are trying to track all the connections and use up all of its available memory. What kind or router are you using? The first step would be to lower the global number of connections but this may only introduce a delay. If your router has an SPI firewall, try disabling that first and let me know how it goes. If it fails, lower your global number of connections.

Sorry I wasnt able to respond sooner. Life sometimes comes at you all at once.

The router is Lucent DSL Pipe, it was provided by our service provider. As far as it having SPI firewall, I am not sure. Downstairs is a Dell desktop computer. I am using a Dell laptop. And my bother has an Apple. How can I find out if the router has a SPI firewall, and how to disable it?

It is just weird that torrent has worked on this connection in the past, but it is not now. Also, I dont know if I made this clear, but even internet connection to my computer, other than uTorrent, is cut off as well.

Found an old post, I haven't read it entirely but I think it contains relevant information, also, if you can't access the other computers, and your using wireless, client isolation might be active. Do you have a web interface for the router? That thread it old. And if you can't find the SPI firewall option in the router, then the only alternative (or rather the standard way) is to lower the global max number of connections, that may only buy time though.

Archived