something went wrong

verniebob

Hey guys, so I tried to set my roomate up for proper port forwarding and must have messed something up along the way. Our router is a linksys befsr41, and he is on window xp. I did everything just the way I did on mine for a static ip (I have vista, but it seems essientially the same), I gave him a new ip that is valid on the router under static dns, and then configured his connection settings to the same. I thought everything would be fine, but now none of my roomates have internet. They're all connected, but none of their internet works, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I reset everything back to the way it was, and still no go. Tried to revert back to random ip config thing, and it still doesn't work. Thing is, mine still works smooth as anything. My computer seems absolutely unaffected, but my rommates' computers, only one of which I messed with, does not. Any ideas?

One odd thing I notice is under my routers status page, a different subnet mask and default gateway are present than their actual values. It doesn't make any sense to me why they are different.

Uh oh. K so you didn't change the ROUTER's IP right? or the connection method... PPP, SLIP, DHCP, etc?

Worst case scenrio you should be able to perform the "reset" operation on the firmware... usually it involves shorting some pin while resetting the router. Can you verify your computer and the one you changed have the same subnet information, AND that you didn't inadvertantly DISABLE connections for all computers NOT given a static DHCP LAN IP Address?

No I don't think I did any of that. I went ahead and reset the router and everybody to initial settings. I was hoping to avoid that b/c now I gotta do mine again, but it seemed too far gone.

Both of our computers should've had the same subnet info, as I input the same values. It looks to me like something went awry w/ my dns. On my router set-up screen, there is a place to enter static dns values. This is where I had manually put in the static IP address that I used, and everything worked fine. However, when I did that for his, it seems everything went screwy. There are 3 slots for static dns, but I'm thinking perhaps only one can be changed. As I said, in the status portion of the router, the subnet mask and dns servers kept changing on me, w/o me actually changing the values. Yet in spite of this, my computer w/ different values still worked.

I'm gonna try to find more documentation on this router. Thanks jewel for the advice and if you have any more keep it coming.

... For the router, if you change ANYTHING from default that's probably where the problem occurred. The router should pull ITS DNS from the modem / ISP. It's likely you worked because you had already copied the ROUTERS DNS servers to your connection while essentially overwriting the ROUTERS DNS entries with non-functional LAN IPs. The LAN IP (usually 192.168.1.1 for the router) is used on the CLIENT computers so that you don't need to change anything in the event your ISP changes your WAN (aka internet) IP. Putting that on the router would most certainly explain problems with other people's computers.

Archived