Access Denied after a few seconds of downloading..

Robert de Montreal

Hi everybody!

First excuse my english (I'm french speaker) it's not my first language... Ok; I get the "Access Denied" Error msg after more or less 10 seconds of downloading any of the torrents i try to download. I went to the FAQ on utorrent website and I need help to do the suggestions I got from there.

FAQ suggestions are:

1. Error: Access Denied can be caused by numerous things. The most common causes seem to be Google and MSN Desktop. A possible fix is turn off the indexing feature, or to uninstall them. Excluding the download folders from indexing should work.

=> I dont think I have these features on my PC but just in case how can I make sure I don't have Google desktop (I dont have MSN on my PC so I guess it's ok for this one) on my PC and how can I turn off the indexing feature?

2. Another fix is to turn off diskio.flush_files, but you will lose the benefit of flush files (diskio.flush_files makes µTorrent close file handles every minute. This helps reduce the effect of Windows managing the system cache badly). Since flush files closes the handle every minute, Google/MSN Desktop try to open the file every minute, and this prevents µTorrent from writing.

The best solution is to uninstall Google/MSN Desktop.

=> How can I uninstall Google Desktop? How to turn off flush files?

3. WinZIP Quickfind has the same effect as Google/MSN Desktop. It must be disabled.

=> I completly uninstalled WinZip, so it should be ok for that...

4.Roxio Media Manager and Nero Scout both do the same. They are installed by default when installing Roxio's and Nero's burning software, respectively. They must be disabled, or uninstalled.

=> I dont have those software on this PC.

5. It is possible that an anti-virus' real-time scanner may cause this, but there is no known AV that causes this error. If it does, the same fixes for Google/MSN Desktop apply (exclude the folder(s), uninstall the AV/disable the real-time scanner, or turn off flush files).

=> I have no anti-virus on this PC

6. AVG7 may cause this, it seems to think that some files are a JPEG exploit (a false positive), and it attempts to quarantine them.

=> Dont have AVG 7 on this pc.

7.A third possibility is that you are viewing the folder while it's downloading, and Explorer is set to thumbnail mode. If this is the case, Explorer would try to access these files while viewing the folder in Thumbnail mode, and lock out µTorrent from writing. The solution is to not view the folder until the download is finished, don't use Thumbnail mode, or turn off flush files.

=> how can I do that?

8. It's also possible that Explorer is trying to read the media files (MP3, AVI and so on) in the folder to make thumbnails, show you information about them, or preview them. You can unregister the media indexer (Start -> Run -> regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll ), and/or unregister the image indexer (Start -> Run -> regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll ) as an alternative for either case, not view the folder, or turn off flush files.

=> when I do "Start -> Run -> regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll' I get the message: LoadLibrary (shmedia.dll) failed- the specific module could not be found.

=> I did "Start -> Run -> regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll" with success but it didn't change nothing for the Access Denied problem in Utorrent. (how can I undo this command -regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll-to put my pc like it was ?

9.A fourth possibility is that you set the files to read-only, which would prevent µTorrent from writing. This only affects downloading; µTorrent can seed files that are set to read-only. However, if the error appears when trying to seed, it may mean that the original files are damaged and are failing the hash check.

=> As the error is when downloading I don't think this one concerns my problem...

Thank you for your suggestions.

Robert

Hi again,

Here's the content of my HijackThis log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 19:17:51, on 2008-04-11

Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe

C:\WINNT\System32\tcpsvcs.exe

C:\WINNT\System32\snmp.exe

C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\mspmspsv.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe

C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\internat.exe

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

C:\WINNT\System32\mdm.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [internat.exe] internat.exe

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [internat.exe] internat.exe (User 'Default user')

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [^SetupICWDesktop] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard\icwconn1.exe /desktop (User 'Default user')

O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm

O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1207117975245

O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe

O23 - Service: Service de l'iPod (iPod Service) - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

--

End of file - 2374 bytes

I've verified again for the uncompatible software and found nothing on the list.

Once again, I see that I can download a bit (my speed goes up to 40kb/s) and I upload erraticly and not much (0.1 kb/s) before receiving Access Denied error msg.

Thanks for your help,

Robert

OH WOW! :) Windows 2000

Those were the days. There are two things I will ask as you certainly run a tight ship. What is internat.exe? Does it do any sort of file scanning?

And with those iTunes services available do you have it use the library to scan for new media to add? It's possible it is trying to add your incomplete files, which causes the problem. You should be able to make an exception to NOT look in your default download folder... which should solve it.

Hi fellows!

@tailspin : you were right on the spot! I went to the folder were i was saving my torrent and found that i didn't had the permission to write. So I fix that and I dont get disconnected anymore! Many thanks for your advice.

@jewelisheaven: did a search on the net for internat.exe: it's a generi process of w2k to allow multiple-language keyboard on different programs.

Thanks again for your help!

Robert

Archived