Accessing Seeds

Larkin600

I'm currently using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit OS and 1.6.1 version of Utorrent.

First off I'd like to say that Utorrent is the best download program I've seen yet. I and have no complaints. I was just wanting to know why I'm not receiving all of my seeds when downloading a program? First off are you suppose to receive all of the seed given or should you just get about 80 to 90% of them? Right now depending on the seeds and peers I have experienced speeds of 670 kB/s which I think is super. I'm not a guru with the computer but I'm learning. Would someone shed a little light on the subject please. Thank you in advance.

Swarm is everybody that is participating in the torrent. Your peers are the computers you are receiving and/or sending data to. If the swarm is small, you can see everyone on your peer list - but if the swarm is big, you'll only see a small list.

It is even bad for your connection if 1000's of peers and seeds are trying to connect to you at once...A.K.A. Distributed Denial of Service attack (unwitting of course).

So for best results, you only need about 10 to 100 connections at once...and only trying to make new connections at a rate of about 1-10 at a time. If each peer or seed gives you on average about 3 KB/sec, then 100 total would give you 300 KB/sec total...probably more than you're uploading back.

When I mentioned seeds received yes I was referring to the number of connections. My ISP connection is about 6000 kbps down and 512 kbps up. In the speedguide settings I have mine set to current settings and I usually have my upload bandwidth set at about 10 kB/s. Are you saying my upload bandwidth is set too high?

No, if you have 512 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth...setting upload speed to a paltry 10 KiloBYTES/sec is probably too low. It's not even 25% of max.

Just remember, while you're downloading fast it's at the expense of probably LOTS of people who have slow download rates...your upload is THEIR download.

Archived