downloads stopped after port forward attempt

uronin

I'd been following some online instructions to increase download speeds on utorrent (I'm not asking about that in this post, just telling you what I was doing!), and got no result. After making the changes the downloads continued at more or less the same speed, if not a little slower. I read further and discovered the issue may be that I didn't have port forwarding. So reading a bit of info I set it up on my base station management tool. I tried restarting utorrent to see if this would bump up the speed and everything had more or less stopped... no uploads no downloads.

After disabling the port forwarding I set up, I restarted utorrent and the downloads continued, albeit at more or less the same speeds as before.

You'll have to forgive me I'm a bit of a newb and probably shouldn't have been messing with this stuff in the first place, but I'm trying to understand what I did wrong here.

A bit of info about my set up.

I'm using utorrent on a laptop connected wirelessly. Base station is connected to a PC.

ISP -- Comcast Cable

Connection speed -- 54 mbps

Router make and model - Microsoft MN-700

TCP/IP patch - I don't think so

Software firewalls, if any - Norton Internet Security

Antivirus software - same

µTorrent settings -made quite a few changes that were recommended online for increasing speeds. One thing I found confusing was that on the recommended changes UPnP Port Mapping was supposed to be enabled but following the port forwarding instructions it said to make sure this was not enabled. I tried both and restarted utorrent and it made no difference.

I followed the port forward instructions from portforward.com.

When you change your PORT it takes time for people to get your information again. When you re-START the torrent, it takes time for people to upload back to you as you upload fast to them.

iirc NIS is in the Software Firewalls Configuration thread so be sure it's set up right that way. THEN test your line to be sure you've not been shaped by running http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ for 1-3 minutes. You can stop/remove/delete it after that.

Okay thanks. Again, I'm a bit of a neophyte with this stuff... I've used torrents for some time but only on a basic level.

I actually wound up reinstalling utorrent to reset all the settings, and my download speeds have increased, so whatever I did made it slower. I'll keep it this way for now.

Archived