Update tracker frequency

Emanresu

I think I've asked here before, but I only got replies that it didn't do any difference and that I "just had to get connectable". Now I'm back, and I still have the same message and question.

Is it possible to change the "update tracker" frequency? It is 32 minutes or something now, but I am not connectable and not capable of getting connectable. Not ever, not my fault, isp thing. To connect to connectable users I have to update tracker (manually or every 32 min) or restart torrent, it won't connect automatically (which some morons claims). Because of that it is a real pain to use torrents. When not connectable you can't connect to non-connectable users and can only connect to connectable users every 32 minutes. Many won't wait 32 minutes and therefor stops the torrent when they aren't downloading. Man others, when there are several seeders, will have completed the torrent already, so it makes a lot of problems when you can't seed anything yourself on private sites that require ratios, or on your own torrents.

Why is there no way to change the update frequency to 1 minute or something. I have to manually click update tracker and check if there are any peers ready to connect. It literally sucks that there is no such option in uTorrent, and I really see no point in not having it.

Trackers define the minimum update frequency, not the user, and not the client. Hammering the tracker with overly-frequent announces is abusive.

So the answer to your question: no, there is no way to lower the minimum announce interval, and no, it won't ever be implemented.

... After you connect to the swarm, peers can get your information when they announce. On small swarms this isn't a problem. Just because you're unhappy with speeds is no reason to ask to hammer the tracker.

In any case disconnecting inactive peers is on by default. Firewalled peers is a lovely herring in your ... justification? I think you misunderstand how torrents work, BOTH peers can initiate connections. Additionally ANNOUNCING does not connect you to peers. The connections between peers follows AFTER you get their IP:PORT.

Both peers can initiate connections, but not to non-connectable users. No one has EVER initiated a connection to me. And this has nothing to do with speeds, but connecting at all.

If you start a torrent, do you always wait 30-45 minutes if it doesn't start? Manually updating tracker is a must for non-connectable users and without that function it would have been impossible to seed.

jewelisheaven: You make no sense. I am not exactly sure if update tracker initiates an "announce" or whatever, but I know this much. I am non connectable. I can't connect before the tracker updates. Those are the facts, so I don't think you understand how it works either.

Except you should have done that before you posted. I thought I was quite nice including a post direct from this forum which came up with a search of announce. The others are examples showing you the different names clients have... all of which mean the same thing. Instead of the tracker specifies announce, you are manually announcing.

Archived