HELP: How to use a torrent to send files from one computer to another

Murrayj

I am pretty new to the torrent community and find myself in Los Angeles without about 650MB's of files that I need tomorrow. I had my wife make a torrent of the folder of files I need and I had her email it to me. When it came to assigning a URL tracker I had her continue without one ( I wasn't sure what to do there). Anyway I have the torrent she is seeding it on my home computer and my laptop is not finding the seed. Anyone able to help? Time is not on my side. Thanks in advance

Don't really see the point in using a torrent program if its just a 1 to 1 transfer. FTP would be easier and more reliable.

If you can't do that, you can upload a password protected RAR or ZIP file to an open tracker like ThePirateBay. If you're a registered member, you can nuke torrents on-demand. After you start .torrent and you are connected, you can nuke the torrent listing.

@hermanm: How is FTP more reliable than BitTorrent if it doesn't hashcheck segments of the data? "Oh look, we finished transferring the 650MB of data but !!! it was corrupted somewhere along the way" You'd have to then use some kind of integrity checking scheme/whatever like SFV or something to determine which file was corrupt, and retransfer the entire file.

I'm using the word "reliable" in the dependable sense, not "accurate". You can hash check the files if you want afterwards. After trying figure out how to use Bittorrent, you could have finished the transfer by now. Now that GoToMyPC has been suggested, I think that's a far easier solution than even FTP.

FTP relies on knowing the IP, that the port is forwarded on the serving computer, that it has an Internet connection, and that it's on -- just like with BitTorrent. It's no more dependable than BitTorrent :| No, I'm not trying to hark about BitTorrent as the be-all-end-all file transfering protocol, but it's just that FTP has very few advantages over BitTorrent (that I can see).

Using a static, non-hash-checking protocol like FTP is fine, but in the event a problem occurs, there's where bittorrent shines. I like to think of bittorrent as FTP+PAR, where you get the efficiency of file transfer... add the ability for swarming of lots of clients to share the same thing easily.... AND hash check it automatically as data trasfers.

In the cases where it's possible for errors to come up, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchive files can be added. This adds overhead to the actual data transfer, instead of possibly adding more data transfer IF errors occur would that you were using bittorrent.

In any case I hope Murrayj got some useful information AND the data before the heads roll at work :P

Archived