Show exact file size?

qazxswedcvfr

Exact sizing is only available for under 1 KiB. There is some talk for configuring this, however not all formatting pleases everyone. The developers are trying to keep things consistent... and since people can theoretically have sizes of files from Bytes to Gigabytes and beyond, a standard significant digits is preferred. Also if you check in Alt-H-S you see the exact values of your TU and TD values (open settings.dat in a capable editor to see the raw byte values) it also rounds to the nearest magnitude.

Examples of possibilities can be found @ http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=320903#p320903 I like the third option, but others in the thread have already mentioned #1, 2, and 4 as possibilities.

#5 isn't very attractive IMO because of all the leading 0's.

"There is some talk for configuring this, however not all formatting pleases everyone." -- well, by giving users a choice as to units displayed, you CAN please everyone.

The Alt-H-S feature doesn't address the issue I raised: Is File X, with listed size 13.0 MB in a torrent, the same as my existing File X with size 13,657,511 bytes? The current display throws away data that already exists in a torrent that can be used for determining file identicality.

Note that I'm only asking for the option in the "Size" column of the "Files" tab; it's not needed in the general statistical columns like "Downloaded", "Remaining", etc., since a few bytes here or there don't make a difference in identifying anything.

Archived