Vista UAC designed to annoy users

jewelisheaven

I don't normally comment on the idiocy which is... bullying, however:

http://www.news.com/Microsoft-Vista-feature-designed-to-annoy-users/2100-1016_3-6237191.html

The fact an exec would even COMMENT on this is a sign Microsoft needs to be hit over the head.... soon.

Maybe someone should steal the proposed bid for Yahoo.... or not. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I saw this via Ars in Thunderbird via RSS, I find it interesting that they/he says it's to get apps to be ok in running user mode instead of admin mode. Doesn't that make sense? I mean, I tried running user only once on XP, it was quite annoying, and yet it's recommended for security purposes, to prevent viruses from having admin privileges from the start. Though with an elevation bug, it doesn't matter as much at that point :P.

If UAC didn't warn users about a range of actions, then it would be even more useless. The fact of the matter is, too many developers take for granted the fact that many users are running under administrator accounts -- that's a dumb assumption to make.

Microsoft made the mistake before of having administrator accounts be default, which (in turn) caused developers to be lazy. If Microsoft doesn't grab the matter by the horns and do something about it, they're making another mistake -- yes, indeed, two wrongs don't make a right.

It's annoying now, but if developers get the message, then it'll only be beneficial for users in the future (and less annoying too). Granted, I don't know too well how annoying UAC is (or what actions really require UAC confirmation), since I've had limited exposure to Vista, but IMO, something's gotta give. I don't see Microsoft's decision to step in (and realize their past mistake in design) as anything too particularly wrong.

Archived