What's so great about Demonoid?

hermanm

Ratio's are indeed enforced, it's low though, one sec...

Edit, my mistake, there isn't. I don't know why people seed then, but they do. I guess just for the statistics. On an unrelated note, unregistered users can only download 3 torrents a day, or was it every 24 hours.. last I checked anyway.

Unregistered users can only download a limited number of torrents AND from the last 2 or 3 days.

Demonoid was a common "indexer" before meta-indexing was popular. Remember demonoid is as-old-as or near-as-old as oink was.

Many people put time and effort into their posts and descriptions ... and though I doubt it's singular in this, your search queries actual use the uploaded "comment" such that you can search for specific content by say author artist or director.

GTHK, I have been a Demonoid member for over 2 years. Just about the time that they went off line in November I bought a computer that was actually fast enough so that downloading anything was not a monumental hassle, and I was able to upgrade my DSL service due to enhancements added by my ISP.

Here is what I love about Demonoid. The library of torrents is well organized, although the music genres could stand a few more additions. There are relatively few ads, and what ads there are, they are small banners and panels - no annoying popups, redirects that snatch your browser out from under you that won't let you go back without restarting your browser. And no stuff that blinks and yells that you won an iPod!

Dead torrents are removed after a month. Moderators seem to read the comments posted and will remove the really offensive ones. Just last week, one of my torrents was "slow" to show in the pool and one new member (join date = event date) complained after 7 minutes that it was not seeded. That sort of message gets deleted pronto.

I love the quality of the material. Many people, myself included, do, as mentioned earlier spend some time including additional material. I try to include a snippet from allmusic guide or amazon.com and a track listing. Some people include cover art.

Torrents that are in .rar and .zip format that require passwords are forbidden. There are not many .zip and .rar files to be honest - so lets say a person wants a single track to add to a mix tape (why do we still call them that LOL) - you cannot do that from a compressed archive.

The interface itself is uncluttered and easy to use. Some other trackers sites like TPB are confusing and messy and some places like IsoHunt are a disaster from an organizational viewpoint. I think that some people like myself actually value things like the appropriate use of capital letters and correct spelling in torrent discriptions, and that seems to be valued by the Demonoid community in general.

Ratios are NOT enforced - it is a honor code thing I think. Mine is around 4 I think. I don't really care - I just try to share because that is what it is all about. I was a Limie user till the spam bots spoiled it, then used Cabos till the files dried up. Sharing is about sharing and not caring about ratios, which, in my opinion, are like ages - just a number.

I do not recall what the rules are for nonmenbers - it has been so long since I was one.

==============================

Had to edit. Today an annoying beeping noise started up and it took a long time to discover it was some stupid ad on Demonoid coming from some earbugs connected to my laptop. And later, I "won" a free iPod and had to listen to the stupid twit tell me it repeatedly. So much for peace and quiet.

use adblock. i see no ads on demonoid.

and HOEMYGOD DEMONOID IS BACK!! I had no idea until I read this post, I'm SO freakin happy!

Everything Ramalama said about D is why I love it.

Plus, the quality of the torrents is way higher than you might find on most sites. Video files, half the time, are available in a myriad of different formats, from .avi to .mp4 to .iso, and all usually share the same quality. The fact that many many videos show up in ISO was half the reason I loved Demonoid so much, I can't stand waiting 5 1/2 hours for DVDFlick to convert my movies.

.mp3's are usually at LEAST 192 bitrate. You can even find stuff like audio books, comic scans, etc.

Plus, being that the layout _is_ so visually organised, people seem to check the pages of their uploaded torrents more often; so things like error reports and requests for seeds or whatever don't go as unnoticed as they might on say, isohunt.

Demonoid has an easier comment and posting system.. you can edit the description, It's got quite a variety of stuff, though almost half the active torrents have been pruned since it's come back :( It's not that I don't agree with re-enforcing the 1-month-no-seeder rule... but it's possible many people don't know it's back up yet.

My biggest issue right now is what I am perceiving as a lack of trust issue - I have 40 or so active torrents and some have downloads in the 100s, with no seeders. It is as though these leechers are either not willing to join, or they think it is going to go down and just hit and run. I am thinking of throwing my .torrents up on one of the dump sites like mini just to get them seeded because I am tiring of babysitting them.

Just for those who don't know this - the Member List is up again. Forums still down.

Oh, yeah, I do that sometimes, but because I'm lazy I just leave most of the niche ones paused until I see a peer connect then manually start 1 or 2 of them a day... rotating them out so my upload doesn't get spread too thin. A DVD takes .... FOREVER @ 5 KiBps.

One thing I am noticing more of though... the first few days lots of stuff was uploaded but the team did their best to remove duplicates.. I saw 3 or 4 things which were apparently dupes... verified when I put in unique titles >< Sooo moral of the story is... wherever you submit/browse torrents please search first :D :D

Ramalama1 if you are seeding them for at least one other peer before rotating that's mountains more than others do... I saw this one person upload 50%, disconnect and wait for all 18 peers on the swarm to get there before uploading more >< That encourages hit-and-running IMO.I think people are more apt to leave the client open if they see ANY activity versus spurts of % increase.

Yeah well I guess I am a nice person LOL - seriously though, I think of them as my babies. As for DVDs, LOL, I just do netflix. What I ended up doing with my "children" is labeled them all Mine so I can see them all at once. When they hit 4 or 5 I take them out of the job list but I have had to add a couple back in the last few days. The bigger the number of true whole copies out there lessens the likelihood that every single seeder is offline at the same time, so even seeding to 4 or 5 is not bullet proof.

For the first batch I uploaded they were older ones that had disappeared or were dead. And were pretty much duplicates of stuff I had d/l ed myself. Since I had to create a new torrent I took the time to weed out the typos and mispellings (my pet peeves) before uploading them. And my externals were giving me fits so I ended up re-working them also. But for each and every one of them, I searched first. I personally hate having to wait for FLACs and then having to smoosh them to fit on my iPods, so I did u/l some stuff that was compressed for others. Nothing has been removed that I can tell so far.

As for activity - I leave the client running from the time I get up till I go to bed unless I am trying to d/l something but then I get grief from spouse about wasting electricity LOL. Easier to shut it down than listen to that.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived