Help...Problem with Wireless Connection (Home Computer to Laptop)!!!!!

top_dawg

I am in need of help as I have tried to find a similar topic regarding the problem I'm having. I'll explain my system and what I have already done to date.

Currently, I have a home computer (which my wife uses) running on Windows XP, cable internet connection, a DLink router (DI-624). On this computer, I have set up a static IP address which is outside the DHCP range (192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199) found on the router. In the setup guide, it asked me to drop the ending DHCP range from .199 to .198 and then I set the static IP Address to 192.168.0.199. On the internet connection, I updated the Internet Protocol TCP/IP to my static IP address keeping the subnet and default gateway the same. I also set up my virtual server with the name Utor1 and entered in my static IP and keep the private port and public the same (port no. 58888). I have properly set up utorrent as well since I get a green check mark and have testing the download speed and the port number is open.

My main problem is............what do I do with my laptop that allows me to use utorrent in the same manner. When I have utorrent opened on my computer I get the green checkmark. Ironically enough, I have the same port number opened on my laptop but I still have a red icon stating not connectable. When I log off my home computer then check the port 58888 on my laptop it states that port is unable to open. Can someone please explain to me what I have done wrong and what I need to fix it?

I believe I have also set up a static IP address for my laptop.

1. Does the IP address also need to be outside of the DHCP range found on the router?

2. Do I even need to set up a static IP address for my laptop?

3. I read in one of the forums that I should cancel the static IP address and just let the router do its work and simplify everything.

4. Please explain the steps I need to fix this problem as I have been trying for about 3 weeks reading in the forums to find out this problem.

I really appreciate any help provided. Thank you and take care.

Do I have to do the same set up for a static IP address for my laptop as well as assign a new port? I did try applying a new port but I always got the error message. However, I didn't do the exact set up as I did for the main computer. Afer I complete this, do I have to keep trying different port numbers until I find one that is open. I assume I need to do the same, assign a different port and hopefully it'll work.

Also, what do I have to do with the firewall on my laptop. I currently have it set up in the Exceptions section where I added a port with the same number as the port on my main computer. I know I'll have to change that first.

Also, in the Advance Section in Settings of the Windows Firewall I added a port Utor1. The port number will need to be changed to one that I'll have open but what do I put in the Name or IP address of the computer hosting this service on your network. Does this refer to the static IP address I have set up on the main computer. Or have I done too much and should delete both of these in the exceptions and advance screens.

Thanks for everyone's help and comments.

I did set up the portforwarding on my router (DI-624) when I saw the instructions. I set up a port number 58888 and it works on my main computer but I get a RED not connectible symbol on my utorrent when I open it up on my laptop.

Do I have to set up the router's wireless section to accept another static IP address and new port number? This way my laptop will recognize this. Or should I set up another Utor2 with a new port and assign this on my laptop. Just thought of that now.

Any thoughts? Thank you

I'm having the same problem, I have utorrent set up on my desktop and I've set it up plenty of times, but for whatever reason I cannot set it up on my laptop. I have set up a static IP and opened a port yet when I check it says it is not open. I can't seem to figure it out.

Archived