Anyway to get around blocked trackers?

KSUdvm2b

My school has recently begun blocking torrent trackers (I get red arrows next to my downloads/uploads). I am also unable to download any torrent files. Is there any way to get around this? When I take my laptop home and run uTorrent I am able to connect to the trackers without a problem and download torrent files. Seeing as I spend 9 hours a day at school, I'd love to use the significantly faster connection to run uTorrent.

And if this is in the wrong section, please move it.

Do you happen to know of any sites that allow alternate downloading of torrent files? I'm gonna start looking now, but that still won't help with the actual use of uTorrent. Any idea when 1.8 will hit the mainstream? I assume it's beta currently. I'm gonna go read up on that, too. Thanks for the assistance.

EDIT:

Just came across this:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=37786

Some helpful suggestions in there.

> I'd love to use the significantly faster connection to run uTorrent.

I'm sure, you're not the only one at your school with this idea. ;)

You might look at UseNet Group - GrabIt works pretty good to download UseNet posts and piece together files.

I can vaguely remember reading a bit about UseNet Groups several (6+) years ago, but really don't know much about them. Aren't most of them subscription? Perhaps you know of a good tutorial to look into? I'm still fighting with uTorrent. I'm considering trying 1.8 to see if it can get around this problem, however the torrents I predominantly use are private and somewhat selective so I don't envision many of the users being on 1.8 yet.

Thanks for the help.

@GTHK, is it as simple as finding an IP address and port number and slapping it into the proxy setting in preferences? I've read so much that I can't comprehend the simple anymore.

@hermanm, I run a mac at home, so I'll have to do some reading to try that. I would assume my home computer would have to be on all the time to allow that?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Do my listening port (which can be randomized on start) and the proxy port (linked to the proxy address) need to be the same? Ah heck, as long as I'm bothering you, what does the "authentication" check mark mean under the proxy setting?

Archived